Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org

Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sun, 06 Jun 2004 15:43:08

Now you just need a cool logo so you can sell coffee cups and T-shirts
on a site like cafepress.com.

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/    *    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/

Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org

Post by Dennis Clark » Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:34:48

Quote:> >Some people are making it work:

> >    http://www.blastwave.org/sponsors/index.html

> (needlessly continuing this thread...)

I assure you there is a need.

Quote:> I finally heard back from paypal.  They say that I first need to delete my
> old account with the yahoo.com email address before my new account will work.
> Thing is, I don't have an older account, and have never had a yahoo email
> address.  Go figure.

Sounds like a procedural run-around.

Quote:> I know it's one of the 2 biggest lies, but the check (cash actually) is in
> the mail.
> Thanks,
> Bill

I will stay in touch.  The iso for the DVD is done and I am doing the burn
tonight and tomorrow.  There were last minute items to put on the DVD.

bash-2.05# ls -lap /export/nfs/dvd
total 11538896
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jun  6 22:04 ./
drwxr-xr-x  17 root     root        1024 Jun  6 22:04 ../
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other    2952663040 Jun  6 22:03 blastwave.2004-06.iso

+------------------------+------------------------------------------+
|    Dennis Clarke       |   Director and Admin for blastwave.org   |
|    dclarke             |   Community Software Packages for        |

+------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Post by William D. Waddingto » Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:51:26

>> I finally heard back from paypal.  They say that I first need to delete my
>> old account with the yahoo.com email address before my new account will work.
>> Thing is, I don't have an older account, and have never had a yahoo email
>> address.  Go figure.

>Sounds like a procedural run-around.

(in the interest of full disclosure...)

In the same way that obscure bugs look so obvious once you have found them
this had a simple explanation.  Seems that a year or so ago my now college
age son asked permission to use my card for a couple of online purchases.
He didn't tell me that he had created PayPal accounts to do so, and didn't
bother to close them once the purchases were complete.  Since I had no
idea this had happened, PayPal's error messages and emails made no sense.

It would help if their communications made things a little clearer - particulary
in the case of actual card fraud.  To their credit, one of their phone agents
was quite helpful in figuring this out and fixing it.

Sorry about the noise,
Bill
William D Waddington
Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

Post by Dennis Clark » Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:02:54

> In the same way that obscure bugs look so obvious once you have found them

gee, I can relate to that.

Quote:> this had a simple explanation.  Seems that a year or so ago my now college
> age son asked permission to use my card for a couple of online purchases.

you loaned a credit card to a college student?  wow.  You're a brave man.
:)

Quote:> He didn't tell me that he had created PayPal accounts to do so, and didn't
> bother to close them once the purchases were complete.

That would be consistent with the "college student" operating system.

Quote:>  Since I had no idea this had happened, PayPal's error messages and
> emails made no sense.

> It would help if their communications made things a little clearer - particulary
> in the case of actual card fraud.  To their credit, one of their phone agents
> was quite helpful in figuring this out and fixing it.

Well, I certainly feel better about this. Thus far PayPal has been working
great for me :

    http://www.blastwave.org/sponsors/index.html

Quote:> Sorry about the noise,

No problem, thank you Bill.

Dennis Clarke

Post by Dennis Clark » Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:06:57

> Now you just need a cool logo so you can sell coffee cups and T-shirts
> on a site like cafepress.com.

I think that this is cool :

   http://www.blastwave.org/Sun_and_Earth.html

   coffee cups and T-shirts! Great idea .. I'll get to work on that!

Dennis

Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org

Post by Jim Balso » Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:36:38

        Dennis, I just sent some $$$$ via paypal. Thanks for the effort. And
keep using paypal, I've never had a problem with it, mostly as a buyer, and a
sometimes seller.

        And don't bother sending the DVD. I can download what I need.

--
---
Jim

Post by Dennis Clark » Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:12:11

>    Dennis, I just sent some $$$$ via paypal. Thanks for the effort. And
> keep using paypal, I've never had a problem with it, mostly as a buyer, and a
> sometimes seller.

Well, it is working fine for me and the logo at the bottom of the main
paypal website says "Powered by Sun" so it has to work!

Quote:>    And don't bother sending the DVD. I can download what I need.

Hey, thanks for the support.  Seriously.  The site is growing like
wildfire and the stats from ibiblio.org are climbing up there :

    http://www.blastwave.org/stats/ibiblio/index.html

I just finished the process of getting all of the DVDs labeled, stuffed
into padded envelops and nifty little address labels done.  A labour of
love to be sure.  Joerg Schilling has done a really great job with the
Pioneer DVD burner and I was able to create the 3Gb DVD's in fairly short
order.  When you think about it, 3Gb is about 5 CD's so I figure I'm not
too far out to lunch asking for $20 for the DVD.  Truth is I am shipping
some freebies out to people in Sun and other types that have stood beside
me with the blastwave.org process.  Guys like Rich Teer, Bruce Riddle and
others.

I hope that the next DVD ( in 15 days or so ) is more popular and that I
can eventually afford to get 4-color silk screen DVD media created.  I
also hope to offer a subscription service such that I can ship out the
DVD's every month for a year to whom-ever signs up with a $200 donation.
That seems reasonable I think, 12x20=$240 so therefore a one year
subscription at $200 is an okay price.  That makes sense for people that
want a DVD with the entire Sparc and x86 tree of both stable and unstable
packages delivered every month.  It may make sense for people working on
servers and systems way behind a firewall and they can't get access to the
internet for a server build process.  Either that or they couldn't be
bothered to watch a T1 of bandwidth get saturated for five hours or more.

Just some thoughts.

Stay tuned for T-shirts and coffee cups next :)  Alan Coopersmith
suggested it so I'll look into it.

Dennis Clarke