Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org

Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org

Post by Dennis Clark » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:58:19

ALL:

    As you may know, blastwave.org is funded by no one other than myself.

    We now have over 500 software packages for both x86 and Sparc
architecture systems running Solaris.  If the Community Software ( CSW )
project has ever been of help to you or your company then I ask that you
read the webpage at :

   http://www.blastwave.org/dvd/index.html

   Everything is explained there.

   Thank you.

+------------------------+------------------------------------------+
|    Dennis Clarke       |   Director and Admin for blastwave.org   |
|    dclarke             |   Community Software Packages for        |

+------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Post by Greg Menk » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:15:27

> ALL:

>     As you may know, blastwave.org is funded by no one other than myself.

>     We now have over 500 software packages for both x86 and Sparc
> architecture systems running Solaris.  If the Community Software ( CSW )
> project has ever been of help to you or your company then I ask that you
> read the webpage at :

>    http://www.blastwave.org/dvd/index.html

>    Everything is explained there.

Is there a way people can contribute without using Paypal?  I use
blastwave enough that I'd be perfectly happy to send a $100 money
order by snailmail- but theres no way in h3ll I'll use paypal.

Thanks,

Gregm

Post by Dennis Clark » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:51:21

> > ALL:
> >     As you may know, blastwave.org is funded by no one other than myself.

> >     We now have over 500 software packages for both x86 and Sparc
> > architecture systems running Solaris.  If the Community Software ( CSW )
> > project has ever been of help to you or your company then I ask that you
> > read the webpage at :

> >    http://www.blastwave.org/dvd/index.html

> >    Everything is explained there.

> Is there a way people can contribute without using Paypal?  I use
> blastwave enough that I'd be perfectly happy to send a $100 money
> order by snailmail- but theres no way in h3ll I'll use paypal.
> Thanks, Gregm

Some people have expressed their disdain for paypal.  I really have to
wonder if there is fact behind the complaints.  I will know within a week
if there are actual issues, and if there are then I will document it on
the homepage of the blastwave.org website.  Have you had problems with
them?

In the mean while you are not alone Greg.  Others feel the same way that
you do.  I have a snail mail address set up for exactly this purpose and
I will post it tomorrow.  That way I can update the web page at the same
time.

Thanks for the support Greg.  I have funded the blastwave.org project out
of my personal back pocket for nearly two years now and the process is
just getting really big.  Growth has gone through the roof.  I expect that
will continue.  :)

Dennis

Post by Dennis Clark » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:28:58

> > ALL:

> >     As you may know, blastwave.org is funded by no one other than myself.

> >     We now have over 500 software packages for both x86 and Sparc
> > architecture systems running Solaris.  If the Community Software ( CSW )
> > project has ever been of help to you or your company then I ask that you
> > read the webpage at :

> >    http://www.blastwave.org/dvd/index.html

> >    Everything is explained there.

> Is there a way people can contribute without using Paypal?  I use
> blastwave enough that I'd be perfectly happy to send a $100 money
> order by snailmail- but theres no way in h3ll I'll use paypal.
> Thanks,  Gregm

Here is the snailmail address for a money order :

     blastwave.org
     995-A Elgin Street West, Suite #423
     Cobourg, Ontario
     K9A 5J4
     Canada

Thus far I have seen people ( well, 3 of them to be exact ) make a
donation to the cause.  Two of those people were software maintainers
that work on this project.

+------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Post by William D. Waddingto » Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:23:07

>> Is there a way people can contribute without using Paypal?  I use
>> blastwave enough that I'd be perfectly happy to send a $100 money
>> order by snailmail- but theres no way in h3ll I'll use paypal.
>> Thanks,  Gregm

>Here is the snailmail address for a money order :

>     blastwave.org
>     995-A Elgin Street West, Suite #423
>     Cobourg, Ontario
>     K9A 5J4
>     Canada

>Thus far I have seen people ( well, 3 of them to be exact ) make a
>donation to the cause.  Two of those people were software maintainers
>that work on this project.

I haven't used Blastwave yet, but I just tried to use PayPal to send
$20.  Ended up w/a looping page about adding my card to another account,
whatever that means.  No clue whether the payment got processed.  If it
did, put it to good use :)  If it didn't, I'm probably too lazy to cut
a money order - sorry about that.  That's sure the last time I try to
use PayPal.  I'm obviously not qualified...

I'm good for the $20 if I can find a simple way to send it.  As to the
rest of the deadbeats, 3 responses seems a little low :(

Bill
William D Waddington
Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org

Post by samue » Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:43:32

Dennis:

        I applaud your efforts and I have benefited from the UP TO DATE
Blastwave distribution. I just logged on a few seconds ago to make the
$20 donation.

I figure Ill renew it once every six months - its nice to have a handy
DVD around with the ENTIRE distribution (SPARC) - I can save some
bandwidth which can better be applied to alt.binaries*

Thanks for your efforts with BlastWave on the Sparc side.

Post by David William » Fri, 04 Jun 2004 06:37:20

> > > ALL:

> > >     As you may know, blastwave.org is funded by no one other than
myself.

> > >     We now have over 500 software packages for both x86 and Sparc
> > > architecture systems running Solaris.  If the Community Software (
CSW )
> > > project has ever been of help to you or your company then I ask that
you
> > > read the webpage at :

> > >    http://www.blastwave.org/dvd/index.html

> > >    Everything is explained there.

> > Is there a way people can contribute without using Paypal?  I use
> > blastwave enough that I'd be perfectly happy to send a $100 money
> > order by snailmail- but theres no way in h3ll I'll use paypal.
> > Thanks,  Gregm

> Here is the snailmail address for a money order :

>      blastwave.org
>      995-A Elgin Street West, Suite #423
>      Cobourg, Ontario
>      K9A 5J4
>      Canada

> Thus far I have seen people ( well, 3 of them to be exact ) make a
> donation to the cause.  Two of those people were software maintainers
> that work on this project.

 I would be I am in the UK. Can you get the costs for UK shipping.
The last Sun Cd is got was 16 quid + 16 quid to customs!

Post by Dennis Clark » Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:46:44

> >> Is there a way people can contribute without using Paypal?  I use
> >> blastwave enough that I'd be perfectly happy to send a $100 money
> >> order by snailmail- but theres no way in h3ll I'll use paypal.
> >> Thanks,  Gregm

> >Here is the snailmail address for a money order :

> >     blastwave.org
> >     995-A Elgin Street West, Suite #423
> >     Cobourg, Ontario
> >     K9A 5J4
> >     Canada

> I haven't used Blastwave yet, but I just tried to use PayPal to send
> $20.  Ended up w/a looping page about adding my card to another account,
> whatever that means.

What?  I didn't know that PayPal was tricky to use.  Seemed to be straight
forward.  I even had a donation from a man in China yesterday.

Quote:>  No clue whether the payment got processed.  If it
> did, put it to good use :)

Let me check ...  hold on a sec ...

  nope :(

Quote:> If it didn't, I'm probably too lazy to cut
> a money order - sorry about that.  That's sure the last time I try to
> use PayPal.  I'm obviously not qualified...
> I'm good for the $20 if I can find a simple way to send it.  As to the
> rest of the deadbeats, 3 responses seems a little low :(
> Bill

  Well, that is clearly an indication to me that I need to get a whole new
process going.  I am stuck with PayPal for the moment but I am going to
look into something that people can trust and I can rely on.  Zero
downtime is a concept that I like and for this process to work I need zero
rejections.  In the mean time you can stuff a $20 bill in an envelope and
just mail it to the address above with a note that has your shipping
address on it.  Or not.  That is up to you.  I know that every nickle will
go towards the operation of blastwave.org, pure and true.

  I plan on putting up a page that shows who makes a donation, the total
amount that came in and then where and when I spend it.  I think that
other open source sites will have a real hard time being that "Open" about
their finances.

  Thanks for trying, I'll get a better process going.

  Dennis

+------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Post by William D. Waddingto » Sat, 05 Jun 2004 00:59:16

>> I haven't used Blastwave yet, but I just tried to use PayPal to send
>> $20.  Ended up w/a looping page about adding my card to another account,
>> whatever that means.

>What?  I didn't know that PayPal was tricky to use.  Seemed to be straight
>forward.  I even had a donation from a man in China yesterday.

Probably just me - it usually is.  I imagine another RTFM failure or something.
However, they haven't responded to my email to their card problem folks, and
that isn't a good sign :(

Quote:

>>  No clue whether the payment got processed.  If it
>> did, put it to good use :)

>Let me check ...  hold on a sec ...

>  nope :(

>> If it didn't, I'm probably too lazy to cut
>> a money order - sorry about that.  That's sure the last time I try to
>> use PayPal.  I'm obviously not qualified...
>> I'm good for the $20 if I can find a simple way to send it.  As to the
>> rest of the deadbeats, 3 responses seems a little low :(
>> Bill

>  Well, that is clearly an indication to me that I need to get a whole new
>process going.  I am stuck with PayPal for the moment but I am going to
>look into something that people can trust and I can rely on.  Zero
>downtime is a concept that I like and for this process to work I need zero
>rejections.  In the mean time you can stuff a $20 bill in an envelope and
>just mail it to the address above with a note that has your shipping
>address on it.  Or not.  That is up to you.  I know that every nickle will
>go towards the operation of blastwave.org, pure and true.

That sounds like a nice direct approach.  Consider it done.

Bill
William D Waddington
Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

Post by Dennis Clark » Sat, 05 Jun 2004 02:28:25

> Probably just me - it usually is.  I imagine another RTFM failure or something.
> However, they haven't responded to my email to their card problem folks, and
> that isn't a good sign :(

Some people are making it work:

    http://www.blastwave.org/sponsors/index.html

Quote:

> That sounds like a nice direct approach.  Consider it done.

 cool, I'll let you know when the mail arrives!  :)

Dennis

Post by Juhan Leeme » Sat, 05 Jun 2004 03:13:20

>> >Here is the snailmail address for a money order :

>> >     blastwave.org
>> >     995-A Elgin Street West, Suite #423
>> >     Cobourg, Ontario
>> >     K9A 5J4
>> >     Canada

>> I haven't used Blastwave yet, but I just tried to use PayPal to send
>> $20.  Ended up w/a looping page about adding my card to another account,
>> whatever that means.

Hmm, I've had a similar problem with a "looping" signon page from eBay,
when I use Linux/Mozilla-1.2.1. Other (more recent?) browsers on
Linux/Solaris don't seem to have that problem (for me). You might try
using a different (updated?) browser? Are you trying to create a new acct?

Quote:> What?  I didn't know that PayPal was tricky to use.  Seemed to be straight
> forward.  I even had a donation from a man in China yesterday.

I'm also surprised. I have used PayPal for about 3+ years, for eBay and
private purchases, and some transfers coming my way. Never had a problem.
I think if one "pre-qualifies" the transaction based on good sense and
"good faith", then one can avoid "weird stuff" (people trying to back out
credit card transactions through PayPal?). What else can go wrong?

But then, maybe I'm just a naive Canadian: e.g. walking around after
dark in Mexico City 20 years ago. I didn't know I should feel scared.
Should I? OTOH, a lot can be said for not looking/acting like a victim. I
suspect that applies to eBiz as well? Use some common sense.

I see Dennis posting here regularly, so I trust he won't "stiff me". The
blastwave idea is a good one. I don't see a problem tossing PayPal his way.

A money order with a postage stamp would also work (but I'm cheap/lazy). I
also think the transaction fees for PayPal are less than paying for a M.O.

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.

Software Distribution DVD from blastwave.org

Post by Dennis Clark » Sat, 05 Jun 2004 13:34:45

Quote:> I see Dennis posting here regularly, so I trust he won't "stiff me". The
> blastwave idea is a good one. I don't see a problem tossing PayPal his way.

Nope, I won't stiff you!

The only thing that bugs me at the moment is the perceived problem with
PayPal as opposed to the actual problem.  Thus far, I HAVE HAD no
problems.

Also, the DVD will be hand built by me personally and shipped to you.
That means that I don't have a fancy 4-color silk screen DVD yet but I do
have a nice looking label maker and I put my personal care into each and
every one!  :)

Quote:> A money order with a postage stamp would also work (but I'm cheap/lazy). I
> also think the transaction fees for PayPal are less than paying for a M.O.

I figure that I'd post the mailing address just for people that feel like
sending my coffee money in an envelope with no strings attached.  I figure
anyone that has ever run "pkg-get -i openssh" would buy me a coffee when
they see how slick it all works.

In any case, thanks Juhan.

Dennis

Post by William D. Waddingto » Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:01:04

>> Probably just me - it usually is.  I imagine another RTFM failure or something.
>> However, they haven't responded to my email to their card problem folks, and
>> that isn't a good sign :(

>Some people are making it work:

>    http://www.blastwave.org/sponsors/index.html

>> That sounds like a nice direct approach.  Consider it done.

> cool, I'll let you know when the mail arrives!  :)

(needlessly continuing this thread...)

I finally heard back from paypal.  They say that I first need to delete my
old account with the yahoo.com email address before my new account will work.
Thing is, I don't have an older account, and have never had a yahoo email
address.  Go figure.

I know it's one of the 2 biggest lies, but the check (cash actually) is in
the mail.

Thanks,
Bill

William D Waddington
Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

Due to requests from larger organizations ( MIT and NASA ) there is now a
Software Distribution DVD Subscription Service at blastwave.org :

   http://www.blastwave.org/dvd/subscribe.html

+--------------------+---------------------------------------+
|  Dennis Clarke     |  Director and Admin for blastwave.org |
|   dclarke          |  Community Software Packages for      |

+--------------------+---------------------------------------+

2. Porting Cold Fusion applcation to UNIX site?

3. blastwave.org S.O.S.

4. How do I know the PPPoE session established correct

5. mutt packages on blastwave.org updated to version 1.5.6

6. xvidtune and user

7. Mail lists now available at blastwave.org

8. `

9. Blastwave.org

10. blastwave.org - offline package installation

11. Blastwave.org packages with insane dependencies

12. Acquiring older versions of blastwave.org packages

13. blastwave.org now takes packaging requests