Mail Config on Solaris 2.6

Post by Demandre » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:19:45

    I was wondering on how to setup email on Solaris 2.6.  I want the
machine to be a mail server.  I primarily want it to send emails only local
to users on an NT domain.  This feature will be used from Oracle.  Please
advise.

Mail Config on Solaris 2.6

Post by Timothy J. L » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:51:23

>    I was wondering on how to setup email on Solaris 2.6.  I want the
>machine to be a mail server.  I primarily want it to send emails only local
>to users on an NT domain.  This feature will be used from Oracle.  Please
>advise.

You can use the bundled sendmail after installing the recommended
sendmail patch for 2.6 (see http://sunsolve.sun.com); see
/usr/lib/mail/README after patching for more information.  The
bundled sendmail in 2.6 before patching does not come with the
m4 macro configuration stuff or any kind of relay control.

Or you can install postfix, qmail, or a newer sendmail from sources
on the net (http://www.{postfix,qmail,sendmail}.org).  This choice
may be better if your mail server may be exposed to the outside world,
since relay (junk mail) control is better developed in the newer
versions.

For Windows users, look for IMAP and POP servers (University of
Washington, Cyrus, Courier) to allow mail readers on Windows to
access mailboxes on Solaris.

Timothy J. Lee

1. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

I was going to use this hard drive to move large files from my
Ultra to my Pentium PC for CD-R backup, but upon "boot -r" on
the Ultra I saw an error about "invalid geometry" on sd3, the
drive I had formatted on my PC to be ufs.  And now of course
I can't even "prtvtoc" this disk ("Unable to read Disk geometry"),
so mounting it is seemingly out of the question.

What's the problem?  Was I naive to assume the a ufs on a Solaris
system would be the same regardless of CPU type?  I really don't
want to use Ethernet to transmit potentially gigabytes of data
on a regular basis :-(...

Please reply via email (and post here, of course), as I don't
get a chance to keep up with the newsgroup as regularly as I
would wish.  Thanks.

Mark J. Kaufman             Sun Microsystems, San Diego

2. Solaris-8+Gateway-e3400???

3. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

4. jumpstart and many subnets

5. How to config PCI-NE2000 compatible card in Solaris 2.6 (x86 platform)?

6. XFree86 3.3.4, 4.0 releases

7. Config terminal in solaris 2.6 ?

8. HELP !: CERN HTTPD LEAVE A LOT OF SLEEPING PROC. ON RS6000

9. Solaris 2.6 patches wipe out network config info

10. SS20 & HP-6MP & Solaris 2.6(7) config

11. Solaris 2.6 SNMP config question

12. How to config Solaris 2.6 (x86 version) default gateway

13. Solaris 2.6/2.7 SNMP Config Question