File system flushing and atomic file replacement.

File system flushing and atomic file replacement.

Post by Peter McCorma » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Two questions here:
(1)   What's the proper way to do an atomic replacement of a file
       which survives a power failure?
       Doing the following:
              rename (old,save)
              rename (new,old)    worked O.K
      The file old was replaced successfully by new.but
      several hours later after a power failure 'old' was
      corrupted.   I  can duplicate this situation at will
      by switching the machine off.
      Even   unlink(new), link(old,new); unlink(new) doesn't work.
      To get around the problem I've called  sync() but this is very heavy
      handed.
(2)  My second question is -  Is there something wrong with the
      sync process under 2.5?    Why are changes to file systems
      uncommitted hours after the event?

File system flushing and atomic file replacement.

Post by Bryan O'Sulliva » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

p> (2)  My second question is -  Is there something wrong with the
p>      sync process under 2.5?

Yes.  If you have a sun4m-based system, you should install the latest
version of the 2.5 kernel jumbo patch immediately.  In fact, you
should always stay up to date on kernel jumbo patches, regardless of
the CPU type of your system.

For patch information, go to http://access1.sun.com

        <b

--
Let us pray:
What a Great System.

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. Slow ssh

3. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

4. in.rwhod[230]: malformed host name

5. Manually "flushing" file systems caching

6. Limiting the number of user processes ?

7. /var file system <==> /usr file system

8. Help! Files visible to everyone else on virtual host!

9. copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

10. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?

11. Real file stats for file on a compressed file system

12. 5.6 x86: file system full message, but file system not full!

13. How to access files in ext2 file system in windows(same system)