Solaris IPX on Windows95 Network

Post by rwamsle » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm relatively new to the UNIX world so bear with me. I have a small
Window95 10BaseT network at home with 2 PC's and a laptop. I recently
aquired an IPX and want to be able to transfer Unigraphics files from my
laptop to the IPX using FTP over the network. I'm about to upgrade to my
free version of Solaris 2.6 and suspect this is the time to set up the
network but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. I'm particularly perplexed about IP addresses on the PC's and
am not sure how they are assigned. Thanks.

Richard in Dayton.

Post by Oliver Egger » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I'm relatively new to the UNIX world so bear with me. I have a small
> Window95 10BaseT network at home with 2 PC's and a laptop. I recently
> aquired an IPX and want to be able to transfer Unigraphics files from my
> laptop to the IPX using FTP over the network. I'm about to upgrade to my
> free version of Solaris 2.6 and suspect this is the time to set up the
> network but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated. I'm particularly perplexed about IP addresses on the PC's and
> am not sure how they are assigned. Thanks.

Hi!

I own a Sparc-IPX and a PC, too. A long time I was looking for a
non-commercial NFS-client without success. Then I installed samba on
the Sparc and networking works fine together with win95.

There's a nice example config which comes with samba. You can easily
change some lines to access home-directories, directories and
printers.

        Bye Oliver

--

  //
  // Institut fuer Betriebssysteme und Rechnerverbund

Solaris IPX on Windows95 Network

Post by Frank Ha » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm relatively new to the UNIX world so bear with me. I have a small
> Window95 10BaseT network at home with 2 PC's and a laptop. I recently
> aquired an IPX and want to be able to transfer Unigraphics files from my
> laptop to the IPX using FTP over the network. I'm about to upgrade to my
> free version of Solaris 2.6 and suspect this is the time to set up the
> network but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated. I'm particularly perplexed about IP addresses on the PC's and
> am not sure how they are assigned. Thanks.

I don't know how you have the current Windows machines talking but you'll
need to get into the Windows networking and add the TC/IP protocol.  Under
properties, you can the IP address for that machine.  You'll need to do this
for each Windows machine.  In your c:/windows directory, you'll also need
a hosts file similar to the one on the Sun for each machine on the network.

Just choose an IP address reserved for this type of setup.  Off hand I
can't remember what they are but at home I use something like
192.168.100.???.

That is:

Windows Computer 1  192.168.100.100
Windows Computer 2  192.168.100.101
Laptop              192.168.100.102
Sun IPX             192.168.100.103

If you set up samba on the Sun and get it configured, you can use a
file manager type program on the Windows machine to copy your files back
and forth.

I know you are not using Linux but there are a lot of HOW-TO's written on
just this sort of thing that would help out a great deal.  Any search on
the Internet (if you have access) will get you started.

Also check out http://www.linuxgazette.com.  It is a web based magazine
on Linux but there was an article from August 1997 about setting up a home
network with Linux and Windows.  It has some helpful Windows screenshots.

--
Frank Hahn

Solaris IPX on Windows95 Network

Post by Nick Holme » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

At this point I assume that you are using the IPX/SPX protocol with NetBEUI for
the windows connectivity.

what you need to be running is TCP/IP, for which you need to have a set of IP
addresses, and the relavent connectivity software installed.  The IPX has TCP/IP
as native, UNIXes live on such things, you will probably have inherited an IP
address, which belongs in some shape or form to someone else, or else networking
will be off.

To get this all working and connectable outside (I would suggest using win NT
RAS or IP Masquerading on the sun for this... more later) you need to assign IP
addresses which will not conflict with the outside world... the sequence
10.X.X.X is reserved for this purpose ... there are other sequences, but the 10
one is the most memorable to me.  I use 10.0.0.X at home.  you should use a
netmask of 255.255.255.0 for good measure if you use 10.0.0.X.

IP is enabled on Win 95 using the control panel | networking | add | protocol |
micro$oft | tcp/ip ... this will add tcp/ip and you will be able to configure it
using the networking control panel.  You have no DNS (unless you have named
(bind) configured and running on the ipx), so we will ignore that.

What you have as an option for name service, rather than hosts, you can use the
windows name service, WINS. This becomes an option if you choose to use Samba
rather than just ftp - it makes the Sun talk SMB - the underlying windows
network protocol, it does this very well, and is highly configurable.  Samba
info may be found at http://samba.anu.edu.au/.  I think that you can get
pre-compiled binaries for Solaris.

the IPX machine's IP address may be changed/found in the file: /etc/hostname.le0
- the file just holds the IP address for the first interface (le0 means the
first Lance Ethernet interface).

If you want then to give your network external access - web 'n' stuff, you will
need a machine to masquerade the external (?dialup IP) - you can either do this
with NT 4 or use the Sun - which is probably a better option, if you can get
hold of either a modem for it, or an ISDN card (much nicer). This is the bit
that I have not dealt with, but your Solaris 2.6 should have info on this aspect
of the installation.  Using the 10.... series IP allows you to masquerade the IP
address without risking masking off any external machines on the internet at
large. ... if you route thru the IPX, you will need to set its ethernet
interface's IP as the default gateway on the network.

the really easy way to do this (avoiding lashing around the IPX) is get a small
ISDN router to shove on the network - but then you have to learn some of the
more interesting bits of router config if you get problems.  perhaps another
day, eh?

Samba is VERY good, so be prepared to increase the storage on the IPX as you
start to use it more and more.

I hope that this is of use to you, I am interested to hear that people are
receiving their Solaris, mine hasn't materialised yet.  Good Luck!

Nick Holmes

> > I'm relatively new to the UNIX world so bear with me. I have a small
> > Window95 10BaseT network at home with 2 PC's and a laptop. I recently
> > aquired an IPX and want to be able to transfer Unigraphics files from my
> > laptop to the IPX using FTP over the network. I'm about to upgrade to my
> > free version of Solaris 2.6 and suspect this is the time to set up the
> > network but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions would be
> > appreciated. I'm particularly perplexed about IP addresses on the PC's and
> > am not sure how they are assigned. Thanks.

> I don't know how you have the current Windows machines talking but you'll
> need to get into the Windows networking and add the TC/IP protocol.  Under
> properties, you can the IP address for that machine.  You'll need to do this
> for each Windows machine.  In your c:/windows directory, you'll also need
> a hosts file similar to the one on the Sun for each machine on the network.

> Just choose an IP address reserved for this type of setup.  Off hand I
> can't remember what they are but at home I use something like
> 192.168.100.???.

> That is:

> Windows Computer 1  192.168.100.100
> Windows Computer 2  192.168.100.101
> Laptop              192.168.100.102
> Sun IPX             192.168.100.103

> If you set up samba on the Sun and get it configured, you can use a
> file manager type program on the Windows machine to copy your files back
> and forth.

> I know you are not using Linux but there are a lot of HOW-TO's written on
> just this sort of thing that would help out a great deal.  Any search on
> the Internet (if you have access) will get you started.

> Also check out http://www.linuxgazette.com.  It is a web based magazine
> on Linux but there was an article from August 1997 about setting up a home
> network with Linux and Windows.  It has some helpful Windows screenshots.

> --
> Frank Hahn

1. Hardware: IPX: Network Collision (Help with turning off IPX)

I am a newbe to Linux..... I just installed Red Hat 4.2 on my PC and I receive
a error message:   IPX: Network Collision 10c24 eth0 802.2 and eth0 802.3.  Can
anyone help me with turning off IPX for the boot.  If I remove my ethernet card
the workstation boots fine but if I leave the card in forget it.

I am using:

Dell Optiplex GXMT 5133
40 MEGS. of ram
3com Elink3 card 3c509b
2 IDE hard drives 1.6,1.2

Please email mail me if you can help.

Thomas Saurman

2. Connecting Linux & Win95

3. IPX: Network Collision error (How can I turn off IPX)

4. scsi

5. Windows95 to SCO UNIX connectivity using IPX.

6. cron daemon

7. Printing from Windows95 on SCO Merge to a remote Windows95 printer

8. compaq presario

9. Network Analyser for IPX Network?

10. Installing RH Linux 5.2/Sparc on Sparcstation2 via my Windows95/98 peer-peer network

11. Problems Networking Windows95 and Linux

12. SPARC 20 Networked to Windows95

13. Howto Drive a Windows95 Network with Linux