newbie: mac address causing network connections to fail

newbie: mac address causing network connections to fail

Post by Gijs Wuy » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

While I'm at it, it might as well drop this question too:

when I replace a server on one of the subnets, which are connected
through switches to the Firewall, he refuses each connection. At first
I thought the switch was the problem, but even rebooting did not
resolve the problem.
My next step is the firewall, and rebooting that one did indeed solve
the problem... Hence my previous question how to avoid loosing
routingtabels when one needs to reboot the Solaris.

What would be a good set of steps to go through to find the cause, and
what could be the cause of these problems.

Gijs

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>While I'm at it, it might as well drop this question too:

>when I replace a server on one of the subnets, which are connected
>through switches to the Firewall, he refuses each connection. At first
>I thought the switch was the problem, but even rebooting did not
>resolve the problem.
>My next step is the firewall, and rebooting that one did indeed solve
>the problem... Hence my previous question how to avoid loosing
>routingtabels when one needs to reboot the Solaris.

>What would be a good set of steps to go through to find the cause, and
>what could be the cause of these problems.

Didn't you ask the same question in comp.sys.sun.admin?  If you must post
in multiple groups, please cross-post, don't multi-post, so that readers of
both groups won't see it multiple times.

However, I have one thing to add to what I wrote when I responded in the
other group.  There's a current thread in this group titled "arp cache not
clearing".  It sounds similar to your problem, so I suggest you take a look
at it.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

1. Geting MAC address from a network connection

Hi,
i have some computers that are in the same network.
Every computer has it's bios password protected, so i cann't boot with
floppy or cdrom.
What i thoght to do is: connect my laptop to this network with regular
network cable, or connect my laptop with twisted network cable to one
of the computers.
Now, is it possible to obtain the MAC address of the computer, with my
laptop running linux.
My question has 2 steps:
1. the computer is on the boot faze and don't run any OS. (Its like
using just the data link layer, with no layers above).
2. the computer loads Redhat from network, and obtain ip with dhcp,
but stuck in gdm to get password that i don't have.

(I can change my laptop's MAC with ifconfig)

tnx
tech

2. eth0 can't determine ip info

3. Newbie: MAC address over network?

4. Seagate drives with Solaris 2.4

5. binding IP Address to MAC Address (newbie)

6. Script doesnt write to /etc/hosts.deny

7. Network Security: I.P. Address With Corresponding Mac Address

8. Missing Memory!!

9. Excluding connection from specific MAC address

10. sungem card fails to find it's mac address

11. How to find the Mac address without internet connection?

12. Hack causes server IP address to exist on my network - stops eth0 from coming up

13. xcdroast causing network connection to timeout?!?