DNS vs. NIS+: Help!

Post by Jennifer Anne Stef » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Is there any way to use DNS without NIS or NIS+ on with Solaris 2.5?  I
have three nsswitch files in my /etc dir: one is for NIS, the other for
NIS+, and the last for just files (no name service).  I tried using the
files config and inserting "dns" into the hosts field, but no such luck.
Am I going to have to learn how to set up NIS+?  I'd rather not.  The only
reason I switched from 4.1.4 to Solaris 2.5 is because the token ring
interface software is Sol2.4 compatible only (or SunOS 4.1.3).
Using the NIS+ config file with "dns" inserted in the hosts field, it
works, but I can't get the local nameserver to function correctly; it will
query other nameservers in the resolv.conf., but not the localhost.
This sucks.

DNS vs. NIS+: Help!

Post by Davin Mil » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

?Is there any way to use DNS without NIS or NIS+ on with Solaris 2.5?  I
?have three nsswitch files in my /etc dir: one is for NIS, the other for
?NIS+, and the last for just files (no name service).  I tried using the
?files config and inserting "dns" into the hosts field, but no such luck.

That should work just fine.

Davin.
--

               Fax:       (716) 645-3464
               WWW:       http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/

DNS vs. NIS+: Help!

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> ?Is there any way to use DNS without NIS or NIS+ on with Solaris 2.5?  I
> ?have three nsswitch files in my /etc dir: one is for NIS, the other for
> ?NIS+, and the last for just files (no name service).  I tried using the
> ?files config and inserting "dns" into the hosts field, but no such luck.

> That should work just fine.

I think the original poster didn't realize that /etc/nsswitch.files, nis and
nisplus are only templates to be copied to /etc/nsswitch.conf

Somebody made that mistake before.

Copy /etc/nsswitch.files to /etc/nsswitch.conf,

then edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and change

hosts:      files

hosts:      files dns

--

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...

<<< Would sixty gallons be sufficient? -- Robby the Robot >>>

DNS vs. NIS+: Help!

Post by Charles Stephen » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

 JAS> Is there any way to use DNS without NIS or NIS+ on with Solaris
 JAS> 2.5?  I have three nsswitch files in my /etc dir: one is for
 JAS> NIS, the other for NIS+, and the last for just files (no name
 JAS> service).  I tried using the files config and inserting "dns"
 JAS> into the hosts field, but no such luck.

If you are not using NIS or NIS+, then you should copy
/etc/nsswitch.files to /etc/nsswitch.conf.  Then in the "hosts:" entry
add dns to the end of the line.  Besure you either a) have a properly
configured /etc/resolv.conf file, or b) a properly configured in.named
running on the local system.

 JAS> Am I going to have to learn how to set up NIS+?  I'd rather not.
 JAS> The only reason I switched from 4.1.4 to Solaris 2.5 is because
 JAS> the token ring interface software is Sol2.4 compatible only (or
 JAS> SunOS 4.1.3).  Using the NIS+ config file with "dns" inserted in
 JAS> the hosts field, it works, but I can't get the local nameserver
 JAS> to function correctly; it will query other nameservers in the
 JAS> resolv.conf., but not the localhost.  This sucks.

I suggest you start reading up on Solaris 2.x and how it works.  It is
not SunOS 4.x!!!

cfs
--

Software Engineer                  = "And thus spake the great lawyers:
SunSoft, a SMI Business            =  thou shall not speaketh for Sun or its

DNS vs. NIS+: Help!

Post by Greg Mus » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Is there any way to use DNS without NIS or NIS+ on with Solaris 2.5?  I
> have three nsswitch files in my /etc dir: one is for NIS, the other for
> NIS+, and the last for just files (no name service).  I tried using the
> files config and inserting "dns" into the hosts field, but no such luck.
> Am I going to have to learn how to set up NIS+?  I'd rather not.  The only
> reason I switched from 4.1.4 to Solaris 2.5 is because the token ring
> interface software is Sol2.4 compatible only (or SunOS 4.1.3).
> Using the NIS+ config file with "dns" inserted in the hosts field, it
> works, but I can't get the local nameserver to function correctly; it will
> query other nameservers in the resolv.conf., but not the localhost.
> This sucks.

Yes there is.

1. Create the file /etc/resolv.conf

Example resolv.conf

domain mydomain.com
nameserver 136.142.140.15
nameserver 136.142.140.16

2. Simply edit the file /etc/nsswitch.conf
   the line that reads...

hosts:      files

make it look like...

hosts:      dns [NOTFOUND=return] files

That is all you have to do.  No NIS or NIS+ needed.

The files /etc/nsswitch.files /etc/nsswitch.nis   are just templates.

/etc/nsswitch.conf is the real file

--
Greg Musi     | Systems Administrator   | Transarc Corporation

1. NIS and ksh vs. chs vs. tcsh vs. etc.

We are using various models of Suns, H-P 9000s, and SGIs under NIS, aka
Yellow Pages).  I would like to use Kron Shell as my default login shell
on those computers that have it, but the older Sun OS does not.

My Sys Admin is telling me that this is not possible under NIS, thus I must
use the C Shell since it is the only shell that is supported on all of the
machines.  Doing a little reading on the man pages, I think that he is
blowing smoke.  He said also that he "needed to occasionally copy the password
file around to the NIS nodes and my having a non-standard default shell would
not allow him to do this" (or words to this effect).

I've tried to use chsh and passmgmt (depending on which UNIX) to
change my default shell on various nodes, but I get "permission
denied" or no message but also no effect.

What man pages can I print out to show this Sys Admin person, in order
to convince him that what I want to do is one of the original intents
of NIS and doesn't mess up his "copying of the passwd file".  I just
want to set the Korn Shell as my default shell on our SGIs, H-Ps, and
Solaris Suns & get on with my life.

--
Roy Kannady                                         Ignorance is curable;
Martin Marietta Astronautics                           Stupidity is terminal.

2. SGI ORIGIN 2000 2xR10 for $35,000

3. NIS vs. DNS

4. Need help with EIDE CDROM and floppy problems

5. Lady Linux user seeks help with connecting to the Internet.

6. NIS+ domainname vs. DNS domainname

7. Reading Audio-CD under solaris

8. NIS vs DNS for tcpd

9. NIS vs DNS

10. NIS+ domain VS. DNS domain

11. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

12. DNS w/ NIS (NIS getting in the way?)