Solaris patch - /var/sadm/pkg ?

Post by Jayesh Kamda » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:20:48

I need to install new patches on my U5 but /var is full.  Can I remove
whatever is there from /var/sadm/pkg to make some room for new
packages/patches ?

Thanks,
Jayesh

Solaris patch - /var/sadm/pkg ?

Post by Fran » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:26:09

Hi Jayesh,

You have 2 options:

1.) patchadd -d <patchid>
This will install the patch without saving backout information. So can NOT
uninstall this patch.

2.) Search for /var/sadm/pkg/<package name>/save/<patch id> directories. If
you are sure you will never backout these patches, you can remove (some of)
these directories.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Quote:> I need to install new patches on my U5 but /var is full.  Can I remove
> whatever is there from /var/sadm/pkg to make some room for new
> packages/patches ?

> Thanks,
> Jayesh

Solaris patch - /var/sadm/pkg ?

Post by John D Groenve » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:13:28

I haven't used it for a couple years, but Casper Dik's fastpatch
safely removes old backout data.
Try ftp://ftp.wins.uva.nl/pub/comp/solaris/auto-install/
John

1. /var/sadm/pkg empty -- patches fail to install

Here is the situation:

/var/sadm/pkg doesn't contain anything, it's empty.  So when
trying to install patches it claims that the patch cannot
be applied because the packages it is trying to update
are not installed on the system when in fact they are.

The /var/sadm/install_data log shows the following output:

Checking installed packages and patches...
None of the packages included in patch <patch-id>
are installed on this system.

pkgparam: ERROR: unable to locate parameter information for
"/var/sadm/pkg/<package-name>/pkginfo"

Two questions:

1.  Is there a way I can recreate the contents of /var/sadm/pkg
so that it contains the correct information about installed
packages on the system?

2. Is there a brute force way I can force the patches to go through?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Netscape(v7.02) - Fonts Too Large

3. Is it OK to delete stuff in the /var/sadm/pkg directory?

4. Metamail: Out of Memory?

5. Solaris Live upgrade: questions about /var/sadm/patch

6. How do you compile a mail program involving SMTP?

7. Recreate /var/sadm/pkg?

8. Boot PROM functions

9. /var/sadm/pkg/*/save OK to delete?

10. /var/sadm/pkg direcotry Q