change root password

Post by Joe » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 06:05:39

When I use admintool to change root's password I receive error message that
admintool cannot be used to modify root properties.
I don't remember root password but I think that my user is root-equivalent.
How can I change root's password beong logged as myself?
Thanks.

change root password

Post by Corey Brun » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 05:13:45

> When I use admintool to change root's password I receive error message that
> admintool cannot be used to modify root properties.
> I don't remember root password but I think that my user is root-equivalent.
> How can I change root's password beong logged as myself?
> Thanks.

There are two ways to change root's password:

1. Be logged in as root, or have UID of 0, and type passwd.

2. Put an install CD in the server, boot cdrom -s. When the system comes up,
you will have to mount the root drive to /a, and then edit the /etc/shadow
file.

Hope this helps,

Corey

change root password

Post by Joe » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 06:32:12

1. How can I create a user  with UID 0 - admintoll doesn't allow me to.
2. I don't have a floppy on this machine...

> > When I use admintool to change root's password I receive error message
that
> > admintool cannot be used to modify root properties.
> > I don't remember root password but I think that my user is
root-equivalent.
> > How can I change root's password beong logged as myself?
> > Thanks.

> There are two ways to change root's password:

> 1. Be logged in as root, or have UID of 0, and type passwd.

> 2. Put an install CD in the server, boot cdrom -s. When the system comes
up,
> you will have to mount the root drive to /a, and then edit the /etc/shadow
> file.

> Hope this helps,

> Corey

change root password

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 21:45:37

> 1. How can I create a user  with UID 0 - admintoll doesn't allow me to.

You can create a normal user with admintool, then change their UID to 0 in
/etc/passwd using the "vipw" command. Of course, you need root access.

Quote:> 2. I don't have a floppy on this machine...

I'm not sure what difference that makes? Unless, you mean you don't have a
CDROM, and made a Freudian slip in your typing?

There are pretty obvious security implications to allowing normal users to
create root-level accounts, even if they can create accounts with admintool
because their account is in the "sysadm" group. Any goober sysadmin could
create a root account for themselves and get full access, even if their access
were limited by other means, like sudo :)

change root password

Post by Casper Berris - System Installation Enginee » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 17:10:12

Quote:> When I use admintool to change root's password I receive error message
that
> admintool cannot be used to modify root properties.
> I don't remember root password but I think that my user is
root-equivalent.
> How can I change root's password beong logged as myself?
> Thanks.

If you are realy root-equal as user, then edit /etc/shadow and remove the
encrypted password for root.
Then login as root (no passwd required) and change the password to whatever
you like.

Cheers.

--
==================================
Casper Berris

=============================
Time flies when your having Sun!!!
==================================

change root password

Post by gkrpa » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 05:16:35

> > When I use admintool to change root's password I receive error message
> that
> > admintool cannot be used to modify root properties.
> > I don't remember root password but I think that my user is
> root-equivalent.
> > How can I change root's password beong logged as myself?
> > Thanks.

> If you are realy root-equal as user, then edit /etc/shadow and remove the
> encrypted password for root.
> Then login as root (no passwd required) and change the password to whatever
> you like.

of course, if you're root equivalent, you should be able to type "passwd root"
and not need to worry about editing the shadow file

--
Greg Krpan                   || Some days are good,

Anti-spam: Remove 'do-you-'  ||But Sundays are NASCAR!