Solaris 7 installation (novice)

Post by Jeremy Yun » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

After attempting my first install of Solaris 7 on a Ultra30, some things
seem to be 'missing':

1) make:  on solaris 2.6, this was in /usr/ccs/bin, which now seems to
have only four files in it.

2) man pages:  a whole pile of man pages seem to not have been
installed... my /usr/man directory looks like:

# ls /usr/man
man1    sman3x
#

What have I done wrong with the install?  Am I looking in the wrong
places?  During install, I selected
the option for the entire distribution (without OEM support).  I have
also checked the install log in
/var/sadm/system/logs/install_log - no complaints in there.

Insightful comments and reply by email greatly appreciated.  Thanx in
advance.

Jeremy Yung

Solaris 7 installation (novice)

Post by Morgan Hennin » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Did you do a developer install or an end user install??  You have to choose
the developer option to get all the stuff in /usr/ccs/bin...

Try doing these:

# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWman
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWdoc
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWhea
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWarc
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWbtool
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWlibC
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWlibCf
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWlibm
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWlibms
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWsprot
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWtoo
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWdfbh
# pkgadd -d <path_to_installtree> SUNWcg6h

Those are the packages required for manual pages, documentation tools, and
development (no compiler, though...)  Some of those may already be
installed...

--
Morgan Henning

Solaris 7 installation (novice)

Post by Stefan Ivano » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Dear all,
In order to protect a Linux and a Solaris servers from fork bombs i
decided to impose some limits (via ulimit (bash) or limit (tcsh)). On the
linux machine there were no problems. On the Solaris I found out that
there is no such resource as number of processes per user. (in
/usr/include/sys/resource.h).

Does any of you know any workaround? How can a Solaris machine be
protected from a fork bomb?

Thanx in advance

Solaris 7 installation (novice)

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>In order to protect a Linux and a Solaris servers from fork bombs i
>decided to impose some limits (via ulimit (bash) or limit (tcsh)). On the
>linux machine there were no problems. On the Solaris I found out that
>there is no such resource as number of processes per user. (in
>/usr/include/sys/resource.h).
>Does any of you know any workaround? How can a Solaris machine be
>protected from a fork bomb?

The solaris FAQ says:

7.3) How can I restrict the number of processes per user?

    Set the following in /etc/system:

    set maxuprc = <num>

7.4) What purpose does the maxusers variable serve?

    The maxusers variable has nothing to do with the number of
    user allowed on a system.  It's one big knob that scales a number
    of other parameters simultaneously.  The standard settings and
    derivations are more or less as follows, using /etc/system syntax:

        * The big knob, scales automatically
        set maxusers = <amount of available physical memory in MB>

        * Maximum number of allowable processes; currently at most 30000
        set max_nprocs = 10 + 16 * maxusers

        * Max processes per user (5 are reserved for the super user)
        set maxuprc = max_nprocs - 5;

        * Number of quota structures (need one per user per filesystem
        * w/ quotas)
        set ndquot = maxusers * NMOUNT / 4 + max_nprocs

        * Maximum size of the directory name lookup cache (DNLC)
        set ncsize = 4 * (max_nprocs + maxusers) + 320
        set ufs_ninode = ncsize

    --- end of excerpt from the FAQ

Questions marked with a * or + have been changed or added since
the FAQ was last posted

The most recently posted version of the FAQ is available from
<http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/>
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Linux installation!(Help please for a novice)

hi there;
        I plan to install linux in my computer and now i have two hdds. The
first is win95, 2 GB, and the second one is my new hdd. So is possible
if i want to install linux in my new hdd without to do anything with my
first hdd. I already set up the second hdd as a slave. What should i do?
Please help me i'm desperate.
        Any help is extremely appreciated.
M. Pimsarn

2. Configuring ppp0 device with ifconfig

3. Novice: Riva 128 installation

4. Advice needed:connecting 2 pc's

5. Why is "novice" installation so important?

6. named.boot & hosts files - are these correct use of

7. Novice Question Solaris Boot -> Cdrom

8. NCSA authentication subdirectory problem - help ?

9. X-Window on Solaris 8 - Novice Unix User

10. Novice question on Solaris

11. Solaris novice

12. Novice Solaris developer needs help!!!

13. How to boot solaris 8 on intel from a solaris 8 installation CDROM