IE4 on Solaris 2.6...works/doesn't

Post by Tom Krotch » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I've installed IE4 on an Ultra10s; it installs okay and starts,
but as soon as you pull down a menu, it locks up the entire CDE.
This is solaris 2.6

A colleague installed it on his Sparc 5, and no problems. Again,
solaris 2.6

Is there some hardware dependancy for this software?  I didn't see
anything at the site.

--
Tom Krotchko

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I've installed IE4 on an Ultra10s; it installs okay and starts,
>but as soon as you pull down a menu, it locks up the entire CDE.

We found IE4.0,4.01 & Outlook Express all hang forever if you have
XSUNTRANSPORT=shmem in your environment, so we just added "unset
XSUNTRANSPORT" to the wrapper script (you never know what environment
variables users are going to play with next).

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

Post by Alan L. Stang » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > I've installed IE4 on an Ultra10s; it installs okay and starts,
> > but as soon as you pull down a menu, it locks up the entire CDE.
> > This is solaris 2.6

> > A colleague installed it on his Sparc 5, and no problems. Again,
> > solaris 2.6

> In our tests, it won't go past the "creating font cache" on
> Solaris-2.5.1 on Sparc 20 and Ultra.

We've had the same experience.  I futzed with the font path for a while
with no luck.  On 2.5.1 it's a no go.

--
Alan L. Stange
Computing and Communications Division

Post by Daniel Brunne » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > I've installed IE4 on an Ultra10s; it installs okay and starts,
> > but as soon as you pull down a menu, it locks up the entire CDE.
> > This is solaris 2.6

> > A colleague installed it on his Sparc 5, and no problems. Again,
> > solaris 2.6

> In our tests, it won't go past the "creating font cache" on
> Solaris-2.5.1 on Sparc 20 and Ultra.

> --

I use it on an Ultra-1 with Solaris 2.6 (5.98) and it works fine.
Daniel

IE4 on Solaris 2.6...works/doesn't

Post by Cla » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Why would anyone *want* to run IE4 on a Solaris box?  The main
advantage to UNIX machines is that they're *not* Microsoft/Intel.

On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 08:05:35 +0200, Daniel Brunner

>> > I've installed IE4 on an Ultra10s; it installs okay and starts,
>> > but as soon as you pull down a menu, it locks up the entire CDE.
>> > This is solaris 2.6

>> > A colleague installed it on his Sparc 5, and no problems. Again,
>> > solaris 2.6

>> In our tests, it won't go past the "creating font cache" on
>> Solaris-2.5.1 on Sparc 20 and Ultra.

>> --

>I use it on an Ultra-1 with Solaris 2.6 (5.98) and it works fine.
>Daniel

IE4 on Solaris 2.6...works/doesn't

Post by Dan Strombe » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I wouldn't say that's the "main" advantage by a long shot - surely
there's a lot more to unix than "it's not from MS"?

But yes, not running MS software feels great.  I don't have even the
tiniest bit of MS stuff on any of my machines.

<
<On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 08:05:35 +0200, Daniel Brunner
<
<>

<>>
<>> > I've installed IE4 on an Ultra10s; it installs okay and starts,
<>> > but as soon as you pull down a menu, it locks up the entire CDE.
<>> > This is solaris 2.6
<>> >
<>> > A colleague installed it on his Sparc 5, and no problems. Again,
<>> > solaris 2.6
<>>
<>> In our tests, it won't go past the "creating font cache" on
<>> Solaris-2.5.1 on Sparc 20 and Ultra.
<>>
<>> --

<>>
<>

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>But yes, not running MS software feels great.  I don't have even the
>tiniest bit of MS stuff on any of my machines.

Got any Solaris machines? Run 'cat /usr/bin/clear' sometime...

><Why would anyone *want* to run IE4 on a Solaris box?  The main
><advantage to UNIX machines is that they're *not* Microsoft/Intel.

So how do you explain Intel as the most popular platform for running
Unix?  As for IE4 on Solaris, it lets us get some idea of how IE users
will see our site without actually having to have a Windows box around.
(Although there are enough differences we do have to go use a Windows
box from time to time to see how it really looks/works.)

We may not like Windows, but we don't want to turn Windows users away.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

IE4 on Solaris 2.6...works/doesn't

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>...  As for IE4 on Solaris, it lets us get some idea of how IE users
>will see our site without actually having to have a Windows box around.
>(Although there are enough differences we do have to go use a Windows
>box from time to time to see how it really looks/works.)

>We may not like Windows, but we don't want to turn Windows users away.

So stick to HTML2.0, and there shouldn't be any problems. With IE, or
most anything else for that matter.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Post by Nospa » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Why would anyone *want* to run IE4 on a Solaris box?  The main
> advantage to UNIX machines is that they're *not* Microsoft/Intel.

  Dear Ayatollah: maybe IE4 is the best web browser for Solaris
available (HotJava is a joke, Netscape is not too different to IE4)... I
don't care if it is made by MS, Satan or God. It should matter if it
works or not. Actually I was quite impressed since MS does not have any
previous developments in Solaris.

> On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 08:05:35 +0200, Daniel Brunner

  There are problems with the graphic card that comes with the Ultra 10.
I was told (by Sun's engineers) to apply patch 105362-10, after what IE4
runs normally.

> >> In our tests, it won't go past the "creating font cache" on
> >> Solaris-2.5.1 on Sparc 20 and Ultra.

> >> --

> >I use it on an Ultra-1 with Solaris 2.6 (5.98) and it works fine.
> >Daniel

IE4 on Solaris 2.6...works/doesn't

Post by Neil Corlet » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I can confirm this, and this is precisely what I did to to the wrapper
also. It took me a long time to determine the cause of the fault.

> >I've installed IE4 on an Ultra10s; it installs okay and starts,
> >but as soon as you pull down a menu, it locks up the entire CDE.

> We found IE4.0,4.01 & Outlook Express all hang forever if you have
> XSUNTRANSPORT=shmem in your environment, so we just added "unset
> XSUNTRANSPORT" to the wrapper script (you never know what environment
> variables users are going to play with next).

> --

> Univ. of California at Berkeley        http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

IE4 on Solaris 2.6...works/doesn't

Post by John R. Sutto » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm able to run IE4.x on a 2.5.1 box with XSUNTRANSPORT set w/o any
problems. I have not tried 2.6 yet.

John,

Post by Darrel Hankerso » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I can confirm this, and this is precisely what I did to to the wrapper
> also. It took me a long time to determine the cause of the fault.

> > >I've installed IE4 on an Ultra10s; it installs okay and starts,
> > >but as soon as you pull down a menu, it locks up the entire CDE.

> > We found IE4.0,4.01 & Outlook Express all hang forever if you have
> > XSUNTRANSPORT=shmem in your environment, so we just added "unset
> > XSUNTRANSPORT" to the wrapper script (you never know what environment
> > variables users are going to play with next).

This is documented in

   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q190/9/10.asp

and also in the solaris readme which is delivered with ie.  The latest
version also explains our troubles:

   Internet Explorer will not start on a Solaris 2.5.1 system that has
   been updated with the Xsun patch 103566-34 or 103566-35. This is due
   to bug number 4152947 in the Sun patch. The previous version of this
   patch, 103566-27, works correctly.

--

IE4 on Solaris 2.6...works/doesn't

Post by Jason Kwa » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Actually, why bother to IE at all when you're using a Sun product? Isn't
Communicator for Solaris way more features at way less bugs?

Post by Jose Luis Martine » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Actually, why bother to IE at all when you're using a Sun product? Isn't
> Communicator for Solaris way more features at way less bugs?

   Have you used IE or are you talking just out of fanaticism? And why
to use a Netscape product when you are using a Sun product? Judge in
merits and choose the best for your needs.

1. Nohup doesn't work as I need with ksh on Solaris 2.6

Hi,

I can't get nohup to work as I want. ksh is my login shell.
Basically, I have a shell script, having this first line :
#!/bin/ksh

This script does a few things, then ultimately starts a binary program
which I want to run permanently. Trying to achieve this goal, I did
the following sort of things in the script :
trap "" HUP
nohup mybinary

I also type the trap instruction in the interactive shell, and launch
the shell script with a nohup command.
Unfortunately, my job is killed if I exit the shell (after the usual
warning about running jobs).

I am puzzled. Could you help me please ?

2. multi OS setup query

3. New install of Solaris 2.6 and ethernet doesn't appear to work

4. Writing to file from kernel & the drawbacks of set_fs() / get_fs()

5. Dual Boot Solaris 2.6 and Win 95...doesn't seem to work

6. Trouble with HP SCSI drives

7. Netscape Collabra 3.01 on Solaris 2.6 doesn't work

8. ipfwadm-Protocol not available

9. Maxclients 512 doesn't work (Apache/Solaris 2.6)

10. ATI Xpert@play/AGP on x86 Solaris 2.6 doesn't work

11. pldd doesn't always work on Solaris 2.6?

12. pthread_create doesn't work on Solaris 2.6

13. mgetty + pppd doesn't work on Solaris 2.6 x86??