(re)Booting question

Post by Remy Zandwi » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi.

Yesterday I rebooted my mailserver. It's a Sun Sparcstation 5 running
SunOS 5.5. After the reboot, a few problems came up:

1)      In the log /var/log/kern, I saw the system booted 4 times.
        The first time it booted normally, synced the disks right away
        and booted once more. The second time it came up, the disks
        were synced again and reboot (msg: "SunOS release 5.5" etc.).
        This time it booted OK. 6 minutes later, it said "be0: using
        onboard tranceiver" for the second time during the last boot.
        Then a "BAD TRAP" occured in the module "autofs", disks
        were synced and the fourth boot-attempt started. This time,
        the machine booted OK, no problems anymore.

2)      After the boot (I rebooted the system with "init 6") the owner
        chip of the /var/mail directory was changed. Never did this
        before... It should be:

        drwxrwxr-x   2 root     mail       11776 Dec  1 17:17 mail/

        But it was:

        drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root       11776 Dec  1 17:17 mail/

Does anyone have a cue of what is or was going on here?

TIA!!!!

1. Preinstallation Questions.(ATAPI CDROM and Booting Questions)

I am going to install FreeBSD 2.1.5 on my machine.  Here are some
questions I need to get straight before I go on.

1.  I read the FAQ, it sounds like ATAPI cdrom is not supported, but that
is the type of cdrom I am using.  Do I have to copy all the files to my
win95 partition?  It would be good if I can get away from it since I only
have about 40 MB left on that partition.
2.  I have a dos partition and a linux partition on my first hard drive.
I want to dedicate my entire secons hard drive to FreeBSD.  Is there
anyway I can install the FreeBSD bootloader on the second hard drive in
another word, on its own partition?
Thanks in advance.

-Dong

2. Name Service