Need help to run SUN Workshop 5.0 beta (problems to run solaris license manager)

Need help to run SUN Workshop 5.0 beta (problems to run solaris license manager)

Post by Stephan Kaus » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

I got WorkShop 5.0 from http://access1.sun.com/workshop5.0ea/ and
installed it but I have problems to run the FLEXlm (v6.0f) license
manager on my Sparc 20 with Solaris 2.6 for SUN WorkShop 5.0 (I get the
license from SUN and Installed it.). The installing of WorkShop 5.0 work
with out a error messages.
Also the installation of the working license run without error messages.
But if I try to run WorkShop I get :
---------
Blabla...
License Status : No License
Server Status : Have Connection
FLEXIM Message : Feature was never checked out
                                License path :

/home3/opt/SUNWspro/bin/./../WS5.0/bin../../license_dir -
                             /sunpro.lic,1
Licenses Available: FLEXlm : FLEXlm error -41,20
License error : Feature was never checked out License path
/home3/opt/SUNWspro/bin.
                      0 out of 0
----------------------
If I take a view in the file /usr/tmp/license_log : I get :
-----
13:50:40 (lmgrd) License file(s): /etc/opt/licenses/licenses_combined
13:50:40 (lmgrd) lmgrd tcp-port 1726
13:50:40 (lmgrd) Starting vendor daemons ...
license daemon: execute process failed: (/etc/opt/licenses/sunwlicd or
/etc/opt/
licenses/sunwlicd) -T bubu.kauss.rhein-main.de 6.0 4 -c
/etc/opt/licenses/licens
es_combined
license daemon: system error code: No such file or directory
13:50:40 (lmgrd) Started sunwlicd (internet tcp_port 32776 pid 248)
-----
I recognize that the file /etc/opt/licenses/suntechd is a symbolic link
to /home3/opt/SUNWste/license_tools/suntechd

Any idea's what is going wrong on my machine ?

Thanks

 Stephan

PS : it is the first time a license manager run on this machine

Post by Guy T » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: Any idea's what is going wrong on my machine ?

Could be a couple of things:
* Did you apply all the recommended patches? (there's a link to them
  somewhere off that download page you mentioned)
* Are you sure you submitted the correct hostid and hostname when
  requesting the license? (the hostname is the tricky one, you need to have
  the right entry in /etc/hosts)

Guy

Need help to run SUN Workshop 5.0 beta (problems to run solaris license manager)

Post by zolta » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Also, there should be a file sunpro.loc in /etc/opt/licenses that should
contain an absolute pathname to the Workshop license directory, usually
/opt/SUNWspro/licenses.  In that directory, there should be a file called
sunpro.lic,1 (or some such thing) that is created when you install the
license.  If this file doesn't exist, or is incorrect, things won't work.
If the *.lic file couldn't get created in the proper directory, it may exist
in /etc/opt/licenses.  If so, copy it to the /opt/SUNWspro/licenses
directory.  Judging by your error message, though, you have problems
starting the license server.  I'm familiar with suntechd, but it looks like
Flex is trying to run sunwlicd.  Otherwise it seems you don't have an
/etc/opt/licenses/licenses_combined file.  Is the license server the binary
server as well?  See if these files exist, and the only other thing I could
suggest is that you try to reinstall the license.  I've discovered (the hard
way) that just because the license installation didn't report any errors, it
may not have gone smoothly...

Hope this helps...

>: Any idea's what is going wrong on my machine ?

>Could be a couple of things:
>* Did you apply all the recommended patches? (there's a link to them
>  somewhere off that download page you mentioned)
>* Are you sure you submitted the correct hostid and hostname when
>  requesting the license? (the hostname is the tricky one, you need to have
>  the right entry in /etc/hosts)

>Guy

Need help to run SUN Workshop 5.0 beta (problems to run solaris license manager)

Post by Julie Dickins » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Stephan,

The most likely cause of this error is that you were running Sun
WorkShop 5.0 Early Access software prior to your downloading and
installing Sun WorkShop 5.0 Developer Release software (different parts
of the overall beta program).  You must remove the version of FLEXlm
that came with the Early Access software, and then install the version
of FLEXlm that comes with the Developer Release software.  According to
the information you've provided, you neglected to remove the FLEXlm
software that came with Early Access.

The Early Access software uses the sunlicd vendor daemon, whereas the
Developer Release software requires the sunwlicd vendor daemon.  The
sunwlicd vendor daemon is only available via the FLEXlm license manager
software that comes with the Developer Release software.

Once you've done that, verify that you've gotten a license file for the
Developer Release software from the Web site
(http://www.veryComputer.com/).  Make sure the license is
installed on your license server (wherever you installed the FLEXlm
that comes with the Developer Release software).

If you're still having problems, we can take discussion offline so we
don't clog the newsgroups.

jules*inson
Sun WorkShop Installation Support

Quote:>Hi All,

>I got WorkShop 5.0 from http://www.veryComputer.com/
>installed it but I have problems to run the FLEXlm (v6.0f) license
>manager on my Sparc 20 with Solaris 2.6 for SUN WorkShop 5.0 (I get the
>license from SUN and Installed it.). The installing of WorkShop 5.0 work
>with out a error messages.
>Also the installation of the working license run without error messages.
>But if I try to run WorkShop I get :
>---------

<snip>

1. Sun Workshop 5.0 Developer Release licensing issue!

Hello:
On October 23rd, Sun workshop 5.0 Developer release was out on their web
site,
Upon downloading and ready to start the license daemon, I see that, the
FLEXlm
license  file that sun emailed me calls for the "sunwlicd" daemon, while
the software
distribution only contains "sunlicd" (the older daemon).

so does anybody from Sun connected to this can answer, when the new
daemon will
be available at their site ?

Anand

--
 Anand Kandasamy
 Research Engineer

  anand.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Documentation for /dev/music?

3. Need help with software compiled on Sparc20 Solaris 5.4 running on Sun 450 Solaris 5.6

4. HELP!!!! CAN'T COMPILE FREEWAIS

5. The Sun Workshop license manager is one problematic beast

6. Darts

7. Compilation Problem: solaris 5.7 and Sun Workshop 5.0

8. ANNOUNCE: BSD C Shell for Linux

9. Problems compiling glib (solaris 5.6, Sun Workshop C++ 5.0)

10. Newbie needs help connecting a Sun Ultra 5, running Solaris 8, to the Internet.

11. Licensing Problem Workshop 5.0

12. WP60 - Can't run license manager, bad hostname.

13. License managers that run under RedHat 4.2?