Serial Console

Post by Shaza » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Ok, I have an Ultra5 with a null modem cable going to my E250.  I need to
bring up a connection since I have no video on the E250.  I would THINK that
you could telnet to the serial port, but haven't been able to figure that
out.  I CAN "tip hardwire" and I get a connected message, but I am unable to
do anything.  I also get the connected message on another Ultra5 that is NOT
connected to anything.

How do I bring up a console on my Ultra5????

Thanks,

Chip

Serial Console

Post by Shaza » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Never mind, I figured it out.  Turns out the hardwire host was using serial
port b, so I added a line to my /etc/remote with the host name of my E250,
pointing to port a and using 9600 baud, and everything works the way it is
supposed to!!!

Chip

Quote:> Ok, I have an Ultra5 with a null modem cable going to my E250.  I need to
> bring up a connection since I have no video on the E250.  I would THINK
that
> you could telnet to the serial port, but haven't been able to figure that
> out.  I CAN "tip hardwire" and I get a connected message, but I am unable
> do anything.  I also get the connected message on another Ultra5 that is
NOT
> connected to anything.

> How do I bring up a console on my Ultra5????

> Thanks,

> Chip

Serial Console

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Ok, I have an Ultra5 with a null modem cable going to my E250.  I need to
>bring up a connection since I have no video on the E250.  I would THINK that
>you could telnet to the serial port, but haven't been able to figure that
>out.  I CAN "tip hardwire" and I get a connected message, but I am unable to
>do anything.  I also get the connected message on another Ultra5 that is NOT
>connected to anything.

>How do I bring up a console on my Ultra5????

Your Ultra 5 merely has a serial port.  It's connected to the console
of the E250.  (just getting the terminology straight, so nobody gets
confused)

You want to use tip to go out through your Ultra 5's serial port
and talk to the E250.  Unfortunately, you didn't say which port
on your Ultra 5 you connected the cable to.

The steps are:

  1. Remove the login service on the port.  While you're logged in
     as root, type this command:

        pmadm -r -p zsmon -s ttya

     if the cable is on the ttyb port, use "ttyb" instead of "ttya".

  2. Tip to the port at 9600 bps.  While you're logged in as root,
     type this command:

       tip -9600 /dev/cua/a

     if the cable is on the ttyb port, use "/dev/cua/b" instead of
     "/dev/cua/a".

After you've performed Step 2, you're talking to the E250's console.
Power it up and see if the boot messages show up in your tip window.

If you want to send a break signal to the E250 (the equivalent of
Stop-A), press Return, tilde (~), and pound (#).  If you want to
exit out of tip, press Return, tilde (~), and period (.).

If you want to use tip on your Ultra 5 to talk through the serial
port when you're logged in as yourself instead of root, edit the
/etc/remote file.  Copy the "hardwire" entry (2 lines) and give
it a different name.  Set the "dv" field to the correct port device
(use the one I described in Step 2 above).  Then you can log into
your Ultra 5 as an ordinary user and access the port with the command
"tip <name>", where "<name>" is the name you gave to the new entry
in /etc/remote.

  -Greg

1. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

I'm setting up a serial console on a machine for which the monitor
will go into the repair shop.  I've successfully set up getty to
take logins from the serial port, and I've successfully configured
the kernel to send boot messages to the serial port.  The final step
is setting up lilo.  Lilo works in that the boot prompt appears on
both the system console and on the serial port. However, I cannot
enter commands to the boot prompt from the serialport.  Following
manpage procedure, I transmit a break over the serial line in an
attempt to get lilo's attention.  It doesn't work.  Lilo listens only
to the system keyboard.  What's up?

System details: lilo-0.20-2 rpm from red hat 5.2, kernel 2.2.5,
otherwise a stock rh 5.2 i386 machine. Serial port connection: I'm running
kermit on a laptop.  I send breaks from kermit  as ctrl-\ b as indicated
in kermit man page. Kermit is ckermit-192.

I suppose that the simplest explanation is that I won't be able to get
lilo's attention unless I unplug the keyboard from the
to-be-monitorless system.  Possible?

Thanks,

Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. Need a driver (Netgear PA301)

3. serial console & real console

4. Boot disk problems: Am I a moron, or is my system not supported?

5. serial console and real console

6. 24bpp unsupported Wabi?

7. Serial console Vs telnet console

8. hd0a:/bsd: Inappropriate file type or format

9. Serial console and "unable to open an initial console"

10. Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

11. 1/3 Fix serial console flow control, serial.c

12. How to specify serial port i/o and irq as akernel parameter for serial console?

13. Affect of removing serial console?