NIS...

Post by HurrotHall6 » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:17:25

Hello,

I've installed Solaris 8 on an intel platform, and I cannot set up NIS as a
naming service. I've copied all the relevant /etc files in /etc/nis_data
(including /etc/defaultdomain), and I've changed the path in /var/yp/Makefile.
When I type /var/yp/ypinit -m, I get the following message : Can't get local
host's domain name. Please check your path.

But when I boot, I see : NIS domain is Olympe, which is the domain name I have
chosen... I've tried not to copy any files and to let the original path in
/var/yp/Makefile, but it doesn't work either.

Any help would be very welcome ! Thank you in advance !

Bye.

NIS...

Post by John » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:56:33

Quote:> Hello,

> I've installed Solaris 8 on an intel platform, and I cannot set up NIS as
> naming service. I've copied all the relevant /etc files in /etc/nis_data
> (including /etc/defaultdomain), and I've changed the path in
/var/yp/Makefile.
> When I type /var/yp/ypinit -m, I get the following message : Can't get
local
> host's domain name. Please check your path.

This is a known bug: domainname returns that it has failed when it has
succeeded.
You need patch 112138-01

John.

1. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

If anyone have try this combination please let me know if it work..

Here is my Question.  Again would it work if I have this combination:

One machine is NIS+ master server and the other is run NIS+ & NIS compatible mode as a slave for
NIS+ master server domain.

Any sugguestion will be appreciate

Thanks in advance

Yoom Nguyen

906-487-2355

2. /proc/cpuinfo says I have a Pentium 90/100 ?

3. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

4. KDE

5. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

6. Nokia, Checkpoint, Stone, Linux, Pix

7. NIS to NIS+: any how to papers

8. Strange serial port problem

9. NIS+ Compatibility Mode (NIS Client - calendar problem)?

10. Help, NIS+ Server, NIS Client

11. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

12. NIS+ encryption? NIS+ expert needed

13. NIS: How to add a new user, without restarting NIS?