USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by Thomas Holmgre » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello All!

Is there support for USB in Solaris 7.0?

Mvh.
Thomas Holmgren
Institut for Datalogi
Aalborg Universitet

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by chad schroc » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hello All!

> Is there support for USB in Solaris 7.0?

No.

Sort of.  :)   (There is the beginnings of support in the
November 1999 Maintenence Update, a/k/a Solaris 7 11/99.)

chad

--
chad at radix dot net

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by Boris Benk » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > Hello All!

> > Is there support for USB in Solaris 7.0?

> No.

> Sort of.  :)   (There is the beginnings of support in the
> November 1999 Maintenence Update, a/k/a Solaris 7 11/99.)

What about in solaris 8?

=b

Sluba za informatiko                 | Phone: (work) +386 69 31 676
                                      |        (ISDN) +386 69 14 632

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by raule.. » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> > Is there support for USB in Solaris 7.0?
> What about in solaris 8?

I don't know of any Sun boxes that have USB ports (not an issue with
x86) ... but it will be curious to see how Sun supports USB on Sparc
PCI - I would assume some $550 USB PCI card :)

-rich auletta

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by palowod » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > What about in solaris 8?

> I don't know of any Sun boxes that have USB ports (not an issue with
> x86) ... but it will be curious to see how Sun supports USB on Sparc
> PCI - I would assume some $550 USB PCI card :)

Hmm I thought USB pci cards where down in the 30 to 50 dollar
range.  Wonder if the drivers would work with an add in card
and say a type 6 usb keyboard and mouse the Sunray's use?
The kicker on the x86 side is yes you can get usb keyboards
and mousers but the HCL guide dosn't seem to give an indication
which ones, unless I missed it somewhere?

---Bob

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   The Solaris x86 Corner   http://fishbutt.fiver.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by <bal.. » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

        From what I read, Sun is going to introduce the Sparc Ultra III CPU
in the 1st half of this year. o

        I assume that along with, or sometime shortly thereafter, they
will also introduce a new line of workstations based on it. in those
workstations I would expect to see USB ports along with at least 1 firewire
port as well.

Jim

PS: Just speculation...

--

---
Jim

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by palowod » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>    From what I read, Sun is going to introduce the Sparc Ultra III CPU
> in the 1st half of this year. o

>    I assume that along with, or sometime shortly thereafter, they
> will also introduce a new line of workstations based on it. in those
> workstations I would expect to see USB ports along with at least 1
firewire
> port as well.

Umm pretty sad if you have to wait for a new processor to use
IO technology that has been in production for a couple of years
now.  There has got to be a more reasonable approach to using
workstation desktop features in a more module upgrade approach
than this.  They do put expansion slots in their for some reason. :-)

---Bob

--

Post by Steve Dy » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> ... but it will be curious to see how Sun supports USB on Sparc
>> PCI - I would assume some $550 USB PCI card :)

>Hmm I thought USB pci cards where down in the 30 to 50 dollar range.

That was a joke, son.

But the Sun PCI USB card (the only one with a SunOS 5.x driver)
will cost $550 rather than $30-50, judging by the reaming that
Sun has given customers who are forced to buy its PCI ethernet
card for SPARC-based PCI systems.
--
Steve Dyer

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I don't know of any Sun boxes that have USB ports (not an issue with

The SunRay 1 thin clients use Sun Type 6 USB keyboards & mice.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by Peter Buelo » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> >> ... but it will be curious to see how Sun supports USB on Sparc
> >> PCI - I would assume some $550 USB PCI card :)

> >Hmm I thought USB pci cards where down in the 30 to 50 dollar range.

> That was a joke, son.

> But the Sun PCI USB card (the only one with a SunOS 5.x driver)
> will cost $550 rather than $30-50, judging by the reaming that
> Sun has given customers who are forced to buy its PCI ethernet
> card for SPARC-based PCI systems.
> --
> Steve Dyer

  I think that Sun is simply in the hardware addon business. This is why
Solaris for free is nothing. $600 for a PCI Ethernet based on a 3Com
chipset (I believe that is the chipset anyway) that you can buy for PC's
for less tha $100. $450 for a 9.1GB EIDE drive (Non UDMA/66) that you
can get at BestBuy for $129+tax (minus the occaisonal rebate). Not
really a joke, but more of a plot to make sure that Scott is richer than
Bill before the year 2005.

  As for USB, it really isn't an issue yet. Most of the devices that are
readily available for USB are not inherently Solaris compat anyway. Find
a good web cam or joystick that Solaris supports and then imagine the
Solaris engineers desire to start into the USB versions of those. I
think that there are donuts in their breakroom, so don't bet on it
anytime soon.
--
Peter Buelow - Software Engineer
--

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by James Lockwo » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

:   I think that Sun is simply in the hardware addon business. This is why
: Solaris for free is nothing. $600 for a PCI Ethernet based on a 3Com
: chipset (I believe that is the chipset anyway) that you can buy for PC's

No.  The PCI fastether cards are based on the hme (well, CheerIO) design
which is Sun-specific.

:   As for USB, it really isn't an issue yet. Most of the devices that are

Obviously none of you have tried USB PCI cards in Solaris revs that support
them.  A generic $24.99 OHCI card works perfectly in my AXi under Solaris
8 beta (which breaks my audio card, but I digress).

-James

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by Ken Mandelbe » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Obviously none of you have tried USB PCI cards in Solaris revs that support
>them.  A generic $24.99 OHCI card works perfectly in my AXi under Solaris
>8 beta (which breaks my audio card, but I digress).

Can you elaborate on what works perfectly means? Are there drivers for
any USB devices (maybe keyboards) ?

--

Emory University    |
Dept of Math and CS | Phone: Voice (404) 727-7963

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by raule.. » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Obviously none of you have tried USB PCI cards in Solaris revs that support
> them.  A generic $24.99 OHCI card works perfectly in my AXi under Solaris
> 8 beta (which breaks my audio card, but I digress).

Which sound card does Solaris 8 break on AXi?

-rich auletta

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by James Lockwo » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

: Which sound card does Solaris 8 break on AXi?

The only ones supported by Sun (Ensoniq ES1370 cards such as the
SoundBlaster PCI64).  The first access to the card results in a kernel
panic.

I posted this problem earlier on this newsgroup and received no response.
If anyone wants a stack traceback I'll be happy to generate one.  Bombs
identically in 32 bit and 64 bit modes.

With that said, the audioens driver has always been buggy and is still
buggy after 106959 is applied.  xmame invariably causes a driver freeze
after a long enough period of time.

-James

USB in Solaris 7.0

Post by Daniel Pri » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>>Obviously none of you have tried USB PCI cards in Solaris revs that support
>>them.  A generic $24.99 OHCI card works perfectly in my AXi under Solaris
>>8 beta (which breaks my audio card, but I digress).

>Can you elaborate on what works perfectly means? Are there drivers for
>any USB devices (maybe keyboards) ?

Solaris 8 supports USB keyboards, mice, and a range of mass storage
devices, including but not limited to Zip drives; of course, hubs also
work.  Solaris 8 EA also supports this, as a previous poster pointed
out.

All are hotpluggable, even a keyboard driving the console.  On SPARC,
you would need OBP support for driving the console from a USB keyboard
so this latter statement applies mostly to IA machines.

On a SPARC platform, you will need a card based on OHCI (Open Host
Controller Interface); on most IA machines, you'll need a card based on
UHCI (basically, the Intel Host Controller Interface), or on-board
support for UHCI.

        -dp

--

Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related to
opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. Statements on Sun products

1. Suse 7.0; Yast2, kinternet, rc.dialout und ich komme nicht ins Internet

Hallo,

folgendes Problem: Die Verbindung ins Internet am Prompt klappt perfekt.
Zumindest kann ich andere Rechner anpingen ...
Wenn ich aber mit YaST2 den Internetzugang fr's KDE konfigurieren will,
schmiert YaST2 bei der Modemerkennung ab - obwohl das wie gesagt,
konfiguriert ist und l?uft. Folglich schreibt YaST2 auch keine
Konfigurationsdateien - welche fehlen, wei? ich also nicht. Unter anderem
(?) fehlt die /etc/rc.dialout, die kinternet gerne h?tte um den
Internetzugang zu konfigurieren.
Leider finde ich keinerlei Dokumentation, was sich kinternet da so
vorstellt. Wenn mir jemand einen hinweis auf eine Doku, oder auch nur
einfach eine funktionierende und vielleicht etwas dokumentierte rc.dialout
schicken k?nnte, w?re ich sehr dankbar.

Danke
Ralf

Entschuldigung fr das Crossposting, aber ich habe die Frage schon einmal
vor einigen Tagen gestellt und keine Antwort bekommen :-(

2. SS10 with 2 CPU's ?

3. USB on Solaris 7.0 x86

4. Alias...how to?

5. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

6. module for wireless devices

7. Code fragments/plug-ins for solaris?

8. Win95 and Linux

9. ??Question about sparc solaris commands to mount, read/write to usb memory jumpdrives/ USB memory stick

10. Solaris USB driver for Linksys USB Ethernet controller (USB200M)

11. USB printer and Red Hat 7.0 Part II

12. USB on Abit BP6, Mandrake 7.0

13. ALCATEL USB SpeedTouch ADSL modem & Linux RH 7.0?