traceroute source or binary wanted

Post by Eric » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

Could someone please tell me where can I get traceroute source or
binary for Solaris 2.4 x86 ?

It is very sad that Solaris take it out. Why ? security !

Please email me a copy in case I miss the your posting.
Thanks.

Post by Pete Phili » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

: Could someone please tell me where can I get traceroute source or
: binary for Solaris 2.4 x86 ?

: It is very sad that Solaris take it out. Why ? security !

Try ping -s -Rv, I think it does the same thing.

Pete Philips

Post by David Ho » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

> Could someone please tell me where can I get traceroute source or
> binary for Solaris 2.4 x86 ?

> It is very sad that Solaris take it out. Why ? security !

> Please email me a copy in case I miss the your posting.
> Thanks.

Eric,
        This is a useful site for network related software,
including traceroute:

        http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/ftp.html

-- david hon

Post by Bob Palowo » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

: Could someone please tell me where can I get traceroute source or
: binary for Solaris 2.4 x86 ?

: It is very sad that Solaris take it out. Why ? security !

: Please email me a copy in case I miss the your posting.
: Thanks.
There is only one site that has traceroute compiled
available and that is server.berkeley.edu
in the /pub/x86solaris/compiled directory?.  However this is
a hard site to get into as they only allow 25 users at once
to access the sites.  All the other sites I have seen have
old out dated binaries and information for Solaris x86 on the
long dead dead, dead dead dead version 2.1 of Solaris x86.
So I'd say hit the auto ftp (ftp -r) to server.berkeley.edu
until you get in.  The sunsties do not seem to be well
organized with the Solaris x86 version 2.4 binaries.
If anyone knows where the Solaris x86 version 2.4 binaries are
available on Sunsite's can you give me a pointer.  I'm really
not interested in the Solaris 2.1 binaries or information
that I have found on Sunsites.

---Bob

| Solaris x86 Corner http://fiver.sns.com/               |

Post by Mike Fischbe » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

: Could someone please tell me where can I get traceroute source or
: binary for Solaris 2.4 x86 ?

: It is very sad that Solaris take it out. Why ? security !

Note that traceroute isn't part of SunOS 4.x, either.

        mike

--

Any opinions expressed are mine only, and not necessarily
those of any other entity.  They may not even be mine.

Post by Andre Be » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

|> : Could someone please tell me where can I get traceroute source or
|> : binary for Solaris 2.4 x86 ?

|> : It is very sad that Solaris take it out. Why ? security !

|> Try ping -s -Rv, I think it does the same thing.

It uses route recording, an IP option. This option is not supported by
a number of routers, and limited due to space limits in IP headers.

Ask archie for the traceroute sources. Porting them is a matter of
bcopy, index and some more BSDisms. A ported version is available as
well as something like traceroute-sol2.tar.gz.

--
+-o-+--------------------------------------------------------+-o-+
| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |

+-o-+--------------------------------------------------------+-o-+

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

 >|> : Could someone please tell me where can I get traceroute source or
 >|> : binary for Solaris 2.4 x86 ?

 >|> : It is very sad that Solaris take it out. Why ? security !

 >|> Try ping -s -Rv, I think it does the same thing.

 >It uses route recording, an IP option. This option is not supported by
 >a number of routers, and limited due to space limits in IP headers.

 >Ask archie for the traceroute sources. Porting them is a matter of
 >bcopy, index and some more BSDisms. A ported version is available as
 >well as something like traceroute-sol2.tar.gz.

I have been using an image compiled on/for SunOS 4.1.3 on several different
Solaris 2.[34] machines.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Web admin:  chimera,nn,tin,jove,kermit - free's best!/________/ /  /  / /

Post by Joerg Schilli » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

>|> : Could someone please tell me where can I get traceroute source or
>|> : binary for Solaris 2.4 x86 ?

>|> : It is very sad that Solaris take it out. Why ? security !

>|> Try ping -s -Rv, I think it does the same thing.

>It uses route recording, an IP option. This option is not supported by
>a number of routers, and limited due to space limits in IP headers.

I have also seen computers (especially SVr3), that do not support the
time to live field which is needed by traceroute.

Joerg

--
Private:J?rg Schilling Seestr. 110 D-13353 Berlin      (030)452 55 85

If you don't have iso-8859-1 chars my name is           J"org Schilling

Post by Andre Be » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

|> >It uses route recording, an IP option. This option is not supported by
|> >a number of routers, and limited due to space limits in IP headers.

|> I have also seen computers (especially SVr3), that do not support the
|> time to live field which is needed by traceroute.

Okay, but who cares about SVR3 these days (Oops, no SCO flames please ;)

I see it this way: Route recording is possible, but almost useless due
to the fact that most routers don't do it and you can't trace more than
some hops (6 or 7 or so). Traces are typically around 15 hops these days,
f.i. from our PoP in Dresden to some DEC server in Palo Alto.
Traceroute using TTL is also possible and more useful, as more routers
support TTL correctly and there are _no_ imposed limites in the first
place (besides from TTL beeing a poor little byte).

BTW, there's a new version of traceroute available, the bad idea is it's
still called traceroute.tar.gz... but it has nifty options for MTU stuff,
displaying hostmasters for hops by means of SOA queries, min/avg/max type
statistics etc. Try ftp://ftp.xlink.net/pub/network/traceroute.tar.gz. In
the same directory is a patch to get it running on Solaris as well.

--
| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |