linking /usr/local/lib/* to /usr/lib/

Post by John McCo » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 02:51:22

Is this a good or bad idea? Why? It wont over right existing libraries. I
ask because I have been adding LD_LIBRARY_PATH statements to some start up
scripts to get them to load properly.

Thanks
--
********************************

Systems Administrator
Central Systems
Mills College
510-430-3321
********************************

Post by John D Groenve » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:24:41

>Is this a good or bad idea? Why? It wont over right existing libraries. I

Very bad idea. Your applications should be built with correct runtime
link paths or they should be considered broken.  Wrapping them
with a shell script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a reasonable work-around.
http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html

Willy nilly mucking around in Sun's directory hierarchies is liable to
break your system.
John

Post by Newbie JrSysAdm » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 07:38:26

> >Is this a good or bad idea? Why? It wont over right existing libraries. I
> Very bad idea. Your applications should be built with correct runtime
> link paths or they should be considered broken.  Wrapping them
> with a shell script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a reasonable work-around.
> http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html

> Willy nilly mucking around in Sun's directory hierarchies is liable to
> break your system.
> John

are you saying:

cd /usr/local
ln -s ../lib lib

or

cd /usr
ln -s local/lib lib

the former is silly and the latter will destroy your system (you lose
/usr/lib/ld.so.1 and you are completely screwed, unless you're a
mega-geek)

Post by Philip Ch » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:00:06

>> >Is this a good or bad idea? Why? It wont over right existing libraries. I
>> Very bad idea. Your applications should be built with correct runtime
>> link paths or they should be considered broken.  Wrapping them
>> with a shell script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a reasonable work-around.
>> http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html
>> Willy nilly mucking around in Sun's directory hierarchies is liable to
>> break your system.
>> John

>are you saying:
>cd /usr/local
>ln -s ../lib lib
>or
>cd /usr
>ln -s local/lib lib
>the former is silly and the latter will destroy your system (you lose
>/usr/lib/ld.so.1 and you are completely screwed, unless you're a
>mega-geek)

Perhaps the OP thinks that Solaris supports BSD style portal/union fs?

Philip

---=====================================================================---
 Philip Chee:  Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA

 t 20366.32 t Path = Wandering Considerably.

Post by Andrew Muell » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 04:13:15

> Is this a good or bad idea? Why? It wont over right existing libraries. I
> ask because I have been adding LD_LIBRARY_PATH statements to some start up
> scripts to get them to load properly.

> Thanks

Just add /usr/local/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/profile.

-Andrew Mueller
http://synecdoche.net/~andy

linking /usr/local/lib/* to /usr/lib/

Post by John McCoy, Jr » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 06:43:19

Adding it to /etc/profile won't affect start up scripts in /etc/rc*.d
It will help apps run later by the user though, but I want the apps to run
without worry of the current enviroment, so using the compliler/linker flags
seems like the best solution, just don't understand the switches yet...to
the books I go, yet again....

Thanks guys

Quote:> > Is this a good or bad idea? Why? It wont over right existing libraries.
> > ask because I have been adding LD_LIBRARY_PATH statements to some start
up
> > scripts to get them to load properly.

> > Thanks

> Just add /usr/local/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/profile.

> -Andrew Mueller
> http://synecdoche.net/~andy

linking /usr/local/lib/* to /usr/lib/

Post by John D Groenve » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 08:59:09

Quote:>It will help apps run later by the user though, but I want the apps to run

Only users with shells that source /etc/profile. csh/tcsh/zsh don't.
John

1. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux and /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux

Hi Linuxers,

I just got a new copy of gcc-2.4.5 and source code of the pl11.
After having done the installation of gcc-2.4.5, I realised that
I have an extra directory: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux.
The question is whether I need to keep the old gcc stuff under
the i386-linux.  I really like to clean it up so as to save 5.1
meg disk space (another poor Linux user  ;-( ).

Your answer is very appreciated.  Please send answer directly
to my address or the corresponding interest parties to reduce
the network load.  Thank you in advance.

Wing

2. SunOS 4.1.2 Programming Serial Ports - Help!

3. Tell "configure" to use /usr/local/lib/sparcv9/ instead of /usr/local/lib/

4. How do you convert o/p to VT100 into a text file?

5. /usr/openwin/lib/libtt.so vs /usr/dt/lib/libtt.so (and ttsession) ?

6. AIX 4.3.3: Maintenance level 3 --> 11

7. /usr/X386/lib/X11 <-> /usr/lib/X11

8. mod_perl,ExecCGI,Option on but...

9. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.2/include/asm causing errors...

10. ncurses, /usr/share/terminfo v /usr/lib/terminfo

11. Legality of sharing /usr/lib/*,/usr/share/*, etc files

12. automake causing linker to look in /usr/lib/.libs for file

13. /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ff (/usr/sbin/ff)