Solaris 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade woes

Post by Henry Leparsk » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 23:18:34

Hi,
        I have a system with a mix of disk drives (Sun and 3rd party).

The UPGRADE option of the 2.4 installation fails and tells me that I have no upgradeable disks. The SUNSOLVE CD doesn't seem to give any answers.

Our Sun rep. pointed to the 3rd party disks - caveat emptor, essentially.

Heck. I don't want to do a complete reinstall.

Has anyone found a solution to this? There was a slight hint that one could find the 'upgrade' script on the CD and just run that directly - ie. the failure I experienced was just in a 'check' script, which could be overridden. I couldn't find such an upgrade script.

Anybody else experience this?

        Henry

UWO Astronomy

Post by Casper H.S. D » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 23:55:21

>Has anyone found a solution to this? There was a slight hint that one could find the 'upgrade' script on the CD and just run that directly - ie. the failure I experienced was just in a 'check' script, which could be overridden. I couldn't find such an upgrade script.

The workaround I got from Sun was:

The steps are:
- fsck and mount all required partitions at /a
- create a upgrade profile (this can be an empty profile if the default
  upgrade behavior is desired)
- manually run pfupgrade:
   pfupgrade -p <profile> -m /cdrom -r <root device>

This may not work, as this is the workaround given when you have
partition > 2GB which won't fsck.

Casper

1. 2.3 -> 2.4 upgrade woes

We've just upgraded one of our main servers from 2.3 to 2.4.

It didn't go without a hitch.

The first thing that happened was this: the upgrade
process hung.  After opening a terminal window and
running ps we found that the upgrade process was
running fsck -m /dev/dsk/c2t2d0s0.

Truss told us that this hung reading from standard input.
Typing return in the console window made it continue
but fail.

The error, of course, was that the disk in question was 4GB
in size.  In which case you need to fsck the raw device.

Commenting the disk out in /etc/vfstab did work, but wasn't proper (as
recommended in the install notes) because the disk did contain
installed files.

Now for the second, much bigger problem.

After restarting installtool (restarting the install is easy, it doesn't
require a reboot which is pretty slow from CD), it ran for
a while and then crashed.

Truss told me that is crashed after reading all the pkgs fils and the
contents files.

Finally, in despair, we decided to remove all the .<num> packages that
are installed by installpatch.

Only then the upgrade did work.

Summarizing I can say that upgrading disks > 2GB doesn't work nor
does it work on heavily patched systems.

Casper

2. Trouble networking two linux machines

3. 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade woes

4. Changing standard input/error of a process

5. SS2000 2.3 => 2.4 Upgrade woes

6. Sync on Green Circut for Old Workstation Monitors

7. Upgrading from Solaris 2.3 to 2.4 ....

8. Serial Port programming techniques under Linux?

9. SPARCServer 1000 - Solaris 2.3 -> 2.4 Upgrade??

10. Solaris 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade

11. NIS+ Master Upgrade Solaris 2.3, 2.4 -> 2.5.1

12. Solaris 2.3 -> 2.4 upgrade not working?

13. Solaris 2.3 to 2.4 Upgrade on SS1000