How can I add swap space

Post by ott.. » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:16:50

I've looked at the man pages for swap but it does not tell me if I need
to use newfs.  If I create a new partition on another drive how can I
just point the OS to it and leave the old swap space for future growth
of another mount?  Does this even make sense?

Thanks for any help...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

How can I add swap space

Post by Nate Shocke » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:51:15

> I've looked at the man pages for swap but it does not tell me if I need
> to use newfs.

        No.  No need to run newfs.

Quote:> If I create a new partition on another drive how can I
> just point the OS to it and leave the old swap space for future growth
> of another mount?

        By editing /etc/vfstab.  There should already be a line there,
providing you currently have a parition configured for swap, that looks
like this:

/dev/dsk/cXtXdXsX       -       -       swap    -       no      -

        Just replace the /dev/dsk/cXtXdXsX with your newly created
swap paritition.  Reboot the server and presto.  If you want to use both
old and new paritions as swap space, just add a new line that looks just
like this one below it with your new parition information.

        If, however, you just need some temporary swap space you can use
"mkfile" (man mkfile) to create a regular file and then use "swap -a" to
add the regular file as swap space.

Quote:> Does this even make sense?

        Sure it does.  Any more questions, just post a followup.

--
Nate Shockey
Ruthless Solaris Admin

How can I add swap space

Post by poeppin » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:10:49

/etc/fstab (on linux) points to the swap space. So you can create your new
partition of swap and then point /etc/fstab to that partion as swap, and
then reboot

> I've looked at the man pages for swap but it does not tell me if I need
> to use newfs.  If I create a new partition on another drive how can I
> just point the OS to it and leave the old swap space for future growth
> of another mount?  Does this even make sense?

> Thanks for any help...

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

How can I add swap space

Post by poeppin » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:12:10

forgot I was on a solaris newsgroup, the file you want to edit is the /etc/vfstab

> I've looked at the man pages for swap but it does not tell me if I need
> to use newfs.  If I create a new partition on another drive how can I
> just point the OS to it and leave the old swap space for future growth
> of another mount?  Does this even make sense?

> Thanks for any help...

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Adding swap space using 'swap -a' command ?

Greetings,

I am using SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 on a compaq prolian 4500 server. The
initial swap space setup is too small. I want to increase the swap
space.

I first create a directory say '/hotswap' and inside the hotswap
directory, I created a empty file called 'swapfile2'. I then make the
file swapfile2 act as a swap space
using :
              swap -a /hotswap/swapfile2 65536

When I used 'swap -l' to list the current swap space, it appears to have
added to the system. But when I check the system disk space, it appear
to be the same as before the swap file is added to the system.

path                                        swaplo    block        free
block
/dev/swap                  1,41            0        196668      186790
/hotswap/swapfile2     76,1            0        65536        65536

Can someone tell if I done it correctly?  If not, how should I do it ?

Thank in advance

Eric Chin

2. NFS

3. Adding Swap: 257000k swap-space (priority -1)

4. Help with BSD scandir

5. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"

6. Enterprise Server and Navigator don't work on the same machine

7. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"

8. What kernel was RH 5.1?

9. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

10. Allocated swap space versus used swap space

11. Swap Space Adding From Another Disk

12. Q: Why CAN'T add swap space

13. How to add more swap space to an existing system?