passwd file corrupt

Post by Gobli » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:58:50

What can i do if the passwd file in the etc folder is corrupt? The system
do's not startup anymore. No root console login is possible. Is the only way
to reinstall the Station?

passwd file corrupt

Post by Dave » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:07:38

Quote:> What can i do if the passwd file in the etc folder is corrupt? The system
> do's not startup anymore. No root console login is possible. Is the only
way
> to reinstall the Station?

Easiest way is reinstall unless it is a complicated setup.

You could remove disk & mount on another workstation/server and empty
password entry for root in /etc/passwd (&  /etc/shadow if entry in passwd is
x)

Dave

passwd file corrupt

Post by David Hayne » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:06:27

Put your Solaris cd-rom in the drive (assuming you have a drive) and
boot cd-rom. Start up the minimum mini-root and then mount your real
root partition. Replace your password file with a simple one and
exit. Now you can boot to root off your original root drive and
fix the password file.

-david-

> What can i do if the passwd file in the etc folder is corrupt? The system
> do's not startup anymore. No root console login is possible. Is the only
> way to reinstall the Station?

passwd file corrupt

Post by Klaus Webe » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:27:15

The System usually creates an backup passwd on a regulary basis.
This file  is called opasswd.

Boot from your CD and check this file

If it looks ok copy it over your "corrupt passwd" :-)  and run pwconv
afterwards

Hope this helps

regards

Klaus

Quote:> What can i do if the passwd file in the etc folder is corrupt? The system
> do's not startup anymore. No root console login is possible. Is the only
way
> to reinstall the Station?

passwd file corrupt

Post by Steve Well » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 11:07:25

Klaus, Boot the system from the CD in single user mode by typing at the
OK prompt:

boot cdrom -s

You will now be logged in as root. Mount the boot drive by mounting to
/a. Then you can go in to /etc to see if you can read your passwd file.
If you can, make a copy to another file as well as a copy of the shadow
file.

After that, edit the shadow file if you can and remove only the
encrypted password entry for root. Then see if you can reboot. If not,
then boot off the cdrom again and remount the drive to /a. Copy
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow from the cdrom to /a/etc. Make sure the root
entry in the shadow file doesn't have a password. Then reboot. Good luck.

> The System usually creates an backup passwd on a regulary basis.
> This file  is called opasswd.

> Boot from your CD and check this file

> If it looks ok copy it over your "corrupt passwd" :-)  and run pwconv
> afterwards

> Hope this helps

> regards

> Klaus

>>What can i do if the passwd file in the etc folder is corrupt? The system
>>do's not startup anymore. No root console login is possible. Is the only

> way

>>to reinstall the Station?

1. Passwd file corrupt Please Help

A machine on our network has some how managed to get its passwd file
corrupted and the entry in it for root no longer has /bin/bash (or any
other shell) called out on it. Since we can not log on as root we can
not change this (because of permissions). How can we fix this. Please
help.

Thank you in advance.

Chris

2. exmh and the internet

3. freebsd passwd file corrupt

4. Sudden problem posting news

5. passwd file corrupt?

6. 2.2.1->2.2.stable upgrade problem

7. passwd file corrupt

8. Bad PCI boards?

9. Help, Sun passwd file corrupt

10. freebsd passwd file corrupt

11. passwd file corrupt

12. Corrupted /etc/passwd file Cant Login!!!!!!