Can't mount CDROM on Sparc20

Post by Gilbert Groeh » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have a SparcStation20 running Solaris 1.1.1 ver B
and sofar I have been unable to mount the CDROM.
I have tried the following commands without success;

mount  /dev/cdrom
mount /dev/cdrom/mnt
mount cdrom:

and every combination of normal Linux commands I
can think of.

The system will boot from the CDROM OK so I know the
drive is working fine.

Could someone please give me the correct commands
to mount the CDROM and to look thru the directories on it, etc.

Thanks for any help you are able to furnish.   I have
root priveleges so that is not the problem.

Gil Groehn

1. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

"That should do it.  I hope this was not to long an explaination, but
"I want you to have a fell for what you are doing before doing it.

"Now as to why...
"Most multitasking multiuser Operation system do not let users
"access the mount command.  Linux makes it possible for users
"to use the command, but doesn't give the privilage to automatically.
"Root has to set the priv on a per device basis.

   ... oh wow.  that was great.  thanks ...

"it's not what you see ,
 but in stead notice."

http://www.aniota.com/~twhite

2. Mod ReWrite question from a Newbie...

3. help about ddd debug tool .

4. cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

5. Help with BSD as a gateway

6. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

7. Bad File name

8. It's not bad canned meat...

9. Funny (no ha ha) NFS mounting of '/cdrom'

10. Can't mount IDE/ATAPI CDROM (can't find filesystem)

11. CDROM won't mount or boot, dumbo rem_drv'd obio!!!