Remote logins to Linux box from dtlogin ?

Remote logins to Linux box from dtlogin ?

Post by jeff » Wed, 30 May 2001 15:46:02

We've recently had the please of getting a few new Sun servers with
which to teach Unix/C/java/html on.
After all the dust had settled, it was decided to have a dell
poweredge server stay as the webserver so we would not have to have
another webserver on one of the solaris 8 boxes.
Here's the problem: We use SunRay 1 devices to allow students to log
in to an E450 to do the work. But, we want the html students to only
log into the poweredge server, so they dont need an account on the
SunRay server (E450) as well as the webserver (poweredge).
We can successfully log into other Solaris based boxes from a Solaris
box, by choosing the "Connect to other hosts.." option on dtlogin.
I've heard many many times that there is a way to have dtlogin running
on a Linux box so it will allow remote connections of this kind. I
know there is the Xig CDE envronment, etc., but...paying for this is
really not an option.
Has anybody done anything similar with xdm/gdm or something else with
Linux??

ANY help or pointers, at this stage, is greatly appreciated!!

jeff

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Thu, 31 May 2001 00:06:23

|We can successfully log into other Solaris based boxes from a Solaris
|box, by choosing the "Connect to other hosts.." option on dtlogin.
|I've heard many many times that there is a way to have dtlogin running
|on a Linux box so it will allow remote connections of this kind.

You don't need dtlogin, just something that speaks XDMCP, such as xdm.
You'll need to configure the Xaccess file, since most Linux'es these
days ship with remote login via XDMCP disabled.