how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

Post by Marbi » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:09:16



I prefer to work in text mode. How to switch off
windows mode in Solaris 8? It still wants me to
work in windows mode. I do not like Windows.

brgds
Marbie

 
 
 

how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

Post by Robert Banniz » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:00:06


Look for a /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin file. Move S99dtprofile to s99dtprofile and
this will cause dtprofile not to run. Therefore, you will always have a
console session without any kind of X windows whether it be CDE or
OpenWindows.

Robert


Quote:> I prefer to work in text mode. How to switch off
> windows mode in Solaris 8? It still wants me to
> work in windows mode. I do not like Windows.

> brgds
> Marbie


 
 
 

how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:06:59



> I prefer to work in text mode. How to switch off
> windows mode in Solaris 8? It still wants me to
> work in windows mode. I do not like Windows.

There's a nice FAQ at http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.54
3.54) How do I enable/disable dtlogin?

Whether dtlogin is started or not is settable with /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig
As dtlogin itself explain when invoked without arguments:

            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d        (disable auto-start)
            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e        (enable auto-start)
            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -kill     (kill dtlogin)
            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -reset    (reset dtlogin)
            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -p        (printer action update)
            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -inetd    (inetd.conf /usr/dt daemons)
            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -inetd.ow (inetd.conf /usr/openwin daemons)

You can of course choose "command line login" from the "session" menu if
you don't want to have it off most of the time.

--

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

 
 
 

how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

Post by luci.. » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:07:30





>> I prefer to work in text mode. How to switch off
>> windows mode in Solaris 8? It still wants me to
>> work in windows mode. I do not like Windows.

>There's a nice FAQ at http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html

>http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.54
>3.54) How do I enable/disable dtlogin?

>Whether dtlogin is started or not is settable with /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig
>As dtlogin itself explain when invoked without arguments:

>            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d        (disable auto-start)
>            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e        (enable auto-start)
>            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -kill     (kill dtlogin)
>            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -reset    (reset dtlogin)
>            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -p        (printer action update)
>            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -inetd    (inetd.conf /usr/dt daemons)
>            /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -inetd.ow (inetd.conf /usr/openwin daemons)

>You can of course choose "command line login" from the "session" menu if
>you don't want to have it off most of the time.

>--

>Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
>Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

A vastly simpler was is to cd /etc/rc2.d and mv S99dtlogin s99dtlogin.

 -----  Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web  -----
  http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups
   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts

 
 
 

how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

Post by Martin Pau » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:44:39





>>http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.54
>>3.54) How do I enable/disable dtlogin?

> A vastly simpler was is to cd /etc/rc2.d and mv S99dtlogin s99dtlogin.

How is that simpler than "dtconfig -d" ? If you think the FAQ is wrong,
please elaborate on this ..

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01 4277 38803
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01 4277 9388

 
 
 

how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:45:32






> >>http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.54
> >>3.54) How do I enable/disable dtlogin?

> > A vastly simpler was is to cd /etc/rc2.d and mv S99dtlogin s99dtlogin.

> How is that simpler than "dtconfig -d" ? If you think the FAQ is wrong,
> please elaborate on this ..

> hth, mp.

To me it is simpler because it is guaranteed to not bring up X and the
graphical login box.  Haven't tried dtconfig -d,  perhaps that will work on
reboots even after the system has crashed.

Dave

 
 
 

how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:48:13



|

|> >>
|> >>http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.54
|> >>3.54) How do I enable/disable dtlogin?
|> >
|> > A vastly simpler was is to cd /etc/rc2.d and mv S99dtlogin s99dtlogin.
|>
|> How is that simpler than "dtconfig -d" ? If you think the FAQ is wrong,
|> please elaborate on this ..
|>
|> hth, mp.
|
|To me it is simpler because it is guaranteed to not bring up X and the
|graphical login box.  Haven't tried dtconfig -d,  perhaps that will work on
|reboots even after the system has crashed.

All 'dtconfig -d' ends up doing is 'rm /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin'.  (It's a
shell script - you can read it to see all the other options, but the -d
is very simple.)

--
________________________________________________________________________


  Working for, but definitely not speaking for, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

 
 
 

1. Installing OpenBSD 2.8 with Windows 98 and Windows 2000

Hi everyone!

I've installed OpenBSD 2.8 several times, but always in an empty PC.
Now, for the first time, I'm attempting to install it in a PC which
already has Windows 98 and Windows 2000 installed. Here's the HD
scenario:

primary IDE master: 30 GB
---primary---
partition 1: 8 GB, Windows 98
---extended---
partition 2: 12 GB, Windows 2000
free space: 10 GB

I'm really confused about the fdisk / disklabel part of OpenBSD
installation. I've read all the documentation available (man pages and
installation FAQ), but I really don't know what I should do.. When
installing to an empty PC, I've just always done "reinit" to reset
default values, and then created partitions b (swap) and a (/). Now
when I try to create a partition within OpenBSD installation, I can
only create a partition of about 8 megabytes even though there should
be about 10 GB of free space on the disk.

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! =)

- Jari

2. Restricting ftp acces to some directories?

3. networking between Lynx 2.3 and Solaris 2.8 via a switch

4. A question about FBDev

5. turning off IPV6 on solaris 2.8

6. redhat 9.0

7. 2.8 bridging mode firewall ---compromised

8. Linux 7.1 sendmail

9. Switching Off An Ethernet Client With A Hardware Switch

10. obsd 2.8 mapping to windows

11. Switching display modes in Gnome window manager?????

12. Strange Problem with Samba 2.0.7 on OBSD 2.8 and Windows 2000 Pro

13. ircii 2.8: /window create problem