How to dual boot Windows XP and Solaris 7

How to dual boot Windows XP and Solaris 7

Post by aryzh » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 03:41:38

It's no rocket science at all,
unless you are trying to do it on a SPARC machine
(Windows XP may be a tricky part, then :-)

First, install Windows. Then, Solaris on a remaining part of the disk.
At next reboot, you will be prompted which OS to boot, and
Solaris will be booted by default after timeout.

1. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Hi
I've installed debian on 4 logical (at least that's what i've told
cfdisk to do) partitions (should be sda9 to sda12 ??; my HW config is
120GB hd on promise uata controller, dvd on ide0 master [so for linux:
hda], cd-rw on ide1 master [so hdc]) and created a boot floppy from
which i've extracted the bootsector and placed it on my fat16 boot
partition (sda0 ?? [will Linux see my promise ata as scsi??]). Then
i've added the line c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux" to XPs boot.ini.

Now i get the message "boot failure" when i select Linux from the XP
boot menu.
I guess the Linux boot loader is looking for the boot image (vmlinuz
??)?
Where is it? Or better, how can i tell this to 'bootsect.lnx' ;-)

Booting from my rescue floppy still works fine, also booting XP!

Thanx

magicpio

2. linux and wireless cams, d-link dcs-900w works fine

3. Dual boot XP / Linux wont boot into XP

4. Will NOVA MAX CD Drive (external for laptops) work with Linux

5. How to dual boot Windows XP and Solaris 7

6. gnome sound

7. Dual boot Windows XP & Solaris 9

8. RH 7.3: Mylex RAID controller (DAC960) performance problems

9. Newbie novice installed Grub on Redhat 7.3 with separate /boot partition, dual boot Windows XP

10. linux - windows xp pro - dual boot - boot.ini - bootsect.lnx failure

11. How can change the Solaris primary boot subsystem to boot Windows xp default?

12. FreeBSD and Windows XP dual boot

13. Setting up a dual-boot system with Windows XP