Can I remove outdated patches from /var/sadm/patch?

Can I remove outdated patches from /var/sadm/patch?

Post by Ian Goldbe » Wed, 01 Jun 1994 01:56:00

I just installed 101318-45, and I now have in /var/adm/patches directories
including 101318-36, 101318-41, 101318-45.  Can I rm -r the first two with
no ill effects (they're pretty big)?  Can I do this in general for any patches
that have been superceded?

   - Ian

Post by Lupe Christo » Fri, 03 Jun 1994 21:05:28

>I just installed 101318-45, and I now have in /var/adm/patches directories
>including 101318-36, 101318-41, 101318-45.  Can I rm -r the first two with
>no ill effects (they're pretty big)?  Can I do this in general for any patches
>that have been superceded?

It would have been better to use backoutpatch first to remove the
older version of the patch. This reinstalls the stuff that has been
saved to /var/sadm/patch/<patch-ID> and removes it there.

You can still do that, but remember that this is a stack: pop off
the latest patch version first.

You can remove the backup directories, but I would make a backup
first, in case you want the patch out for some reason.
--

| suninfo!alanya!lupe       (for Sun Germany)        | opinion of Christoph & |
| Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem. | Imschweiler Consulting |

1. Problem installing patch after removing /var/sadm/patch dir

Hi,

   I've the following problem and hoping someone could point me the
way to go. I've installed the recommended patch on my Ultra running
2.5.1 in the past. However, due to some lack of space in /var I
inadvertendly removed /var/sadm/patch ... Now showrev -p doesn't
show that I've any patch on my system. And newer patch cannot be
installed, since it either cannot find the package, or the prerequisite
patch.
   I need to install the latest Recommended patch & Y2K patch for Y2K
compliant. Any help or advice is appreciate.

Best regards,
Minh Nhat Lai - Bell Advanced Communications
Network Janitor - Network Tools & Operations
"Je penche donc je tombe" - Sanscartes

2. promise ultra100 tx2

3. Old revs of jumbo patches - need to keep in /var/sadm/patch?

4. Applets, Netscape, 3.2.5

5. how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

6. Undefined Symbol _mcounts

7. Solaris Live upgrade: questions about /var/sadm/patch

8. stopping pppoe from automatically reconnecting

9. /var/sadm/patch "clean" cleanup

10. Solaris patch - /var/sadm/pkg ?

11. default permission in /var/sadm/patch

12. copy /var/sadm vs. install patch

13. Cleaning up old patches in /var/sadm