Why are some packages installed in all zones for Solaris 10, but some packages are not ?

Why are some packages installed in all zones for Solaris 10, but some packages are not ?

Post by John » Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:41:19

Hi:

We are installing some packages onto a Solaris 10 environment which is
configured with three zones in total.

For some reason, a certain package is always installed in all three zones
(global, zone1, zone2), but the other packages are only installed in the
global zone.

For all packages, we have set:
SUNW_PKG_ALLZONES=false
SUNW_PKG_HOLLOW=false

The command we run (in global zone) is:

# pkgadd -d <whatever> <pkgname>

Our question is:
why is this package installation behaviour different from the other
packages, when everything seems to be the same ?

Thanks
JL

Why are some packages installed in all zones for Solaris 10, but some packages are not ?

Post by David Hayne » Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:25:01

Quote:>Hi:

>We are installing some packages onto a Solaris 10 environment which is
>configured with three zones in total.

>For some reason, a certain package is always installed in all three zones
>(global, zone1, zone2), but the other packages are only installed in the
>global zone.

>For all packages, we have set:
>SUNW_PKG_ALLZONES=false
>SUNW_PKG_HOLLOW=false

>The command we run (in global zone) is:

># pkgadd -d <whatever> <pkgname>

>Our question is:
>why is this package installation behaviour different from the other
>packages, when everything seems to be the same ?

>Thanks
>JL

One idea (from the man page)

Quote:>     When running pkgadd in the global  zone  (see  zones(5)),  a
>     package  that  contains a request script (see pkgask(1M)) is
>     added only to the global zone. The package is not propagated
>     to  any current or yet-to-be-installed non-global zone. This
>     behavior mimics the  effect  of  the  -G  option,  described
>     below.

I would suggest simply doing pkgadd -G in the global zone.

-david-

1. Package exclude when creating a Solaris 10 Zone

I would like to exlude certain packages when creating a zone, I have
checked the docs/newgroups and web and have not been able to find a
way of doing this.

I have a custom package which has been used for several years, it
installs fine for my Sol 10 build but when creating a zone I end up
with truncated passwd/shadow and group files. The package sets up
various local configuration items.

Can anyone help ?

Regards,

Carl.

2. yaboot boot script problem

3. Custom package incomplete when new Solaris 10 zone is created

4. Does support exist for IDE Bus Mastering (Triton II-HX/VX PCI)?

5. i am getting the follwoing error while install the packages

6. LEGAL C`A`B`L`E TV D`E-S`C`R`A`M`B`L`E`R 1671

7. Configuring packages from zone to zone

8. problem with intoducing ptfs

9. Solaris 10 zones - communication between zones

10. make package from an installed package

11. Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?