panic not logged by syslogd

Post by Kel » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am running Solaris 2.6, latest patches,  across about 80 systems and
experiencing the occasional system panic... usually explainable, but
sometimes not.

The problem is that the crash dumps are not being written to
/var/adm/messages... but they are being written to the console.

eg:  The following appeared on the console during a recent system failure,
but not in the messages file:

        panic[cpu0]/thread=0x30023e80: CPU0 Multiple Privileged UE Error:
AFSR 0x00000001 80300000 AFAR 0x00000000 09a00030 SIMM U09
01 U1001
        syncing file systems... 4 done
        6091 static and sysmap kernel pages
        30 dynamic kernel data pages
        254 kernel-pageable pages
        0 segkmap kernel pages
        0 segvn kernel pages
        0 current user process pages
        6375 total pages (6375 chunks)

excerpt from my syslog.conf:
    *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice      /dev/console
    *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit   /var/adm/messages

Which syslog faciltiy/level does a cpu panic fall into ?

If I change the syslog.conf ( and HUP the sysogd) how can I simulate a panic
... and test the resultant logging ?

Thanks for any advice.

- kelvin.

panic not logged by syslogd

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>   The problem is that the crash dumps are not being written to
>   /var/adm/messages... but they are being written to the console.

Yes, panics are logged to auth, weird, huh?  I use "auth.err", but it
may be higher.

Quote:>   If I change the syslog.conf ( and HUP the sysogd) how can I
>   simulate a panic ... and test the resultant logging ?

L1-a sync

Oh, is that too realistic a simulation for you? ;-)

Kjetil T.

panic not logged by syslogd

Post by Andrew Gra » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> The problem is that the crash dumps are not being written to
> /var/adm/messages... but they are being written to the console.

> [ panic text deleted ]

> excerpt from my syslog.conf:
>     *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice      /dev/console
>     *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit   /var/adm/messages

> Which syslog faciltiy/level does a cpu panic fall into ?

My understanding is that kernel panics logged with a facility
code of 'kernel'.  The default syslog.conf will thus direct
them to 'messages'

However, depending on the type of panic syslog may not
get an opportunity to send it to a file - e.g. disk problem...

You might want to turn crash dumps on - 'savecore' will save
a copy of panic string for you.....

--
Andrew Gray
Cable & Wireless ECRC GmbH

1. syslogd does not log ip-packet-logs any more

I wonder, what I did to my system, but it stopped logging a lot of things
about a month ago. Most recognizeable is that there is no logging of
ipchains-logs any more (kind of 'ipchains -A frombad -j DENY -l')

funny thing is, I can still view these logs with dmesg, so this is not a
ipchains-problem.

for testing, I set up a quite simple syslog.conf:

*.*                                                     /var/log/messages

So this should just log all the stuff !! And I didnt change the kernel
since last summer, so this also cannot be the reason ....

peter

--

goldfisch.at

2. Mouse goes berserk in X

3. syslogd not logging anymore

4. Online Linux Support/User Group

5. syslogd not logging

6. Unix / Win95 FTP Problem...

7. syslogd not logging problem

8. Manually configuring printers in Solaris 2.5 x86

9. syslogd not logging off network

10. syslogd and logins not logging

11. syslogd (FreeBSD) not logging routing data

12. Syslogd running but not logging.

13. Syslogd not logging auth.info and auth.notice properly