NIS + setup

Post by Patrick Schoppenhors » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm having a problem setting up NIS on a sparc 5 running 2.5.1.  I run

/usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r -d domain.name and it goes through ok.  Then when I try to run

/usr/lib/nis/nispopulate it dies with nisaddcred: unable to create credentials.  Any ideas?

I'm new to NIS and I really have no clue what the problem is. If you have any ideas post them

 here as I read the groups.  Thanks is advance!

Patrick Schoppenhorst
Systems Administrator
The Alexander Group

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.  X is work.  Y
is play.  Z is keep your mouth shut.
                -- Albert Einstein

NIS + setup

Post by Gerald Heini » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I'm having a problem setting up NIS on a sparc 5 running 2.5.1.  I run

> /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r -d domain.name and it goes through ok.  Then when I try to run

> /usr/lib/nis/nispopulate it dies with nisaddcred: unable to create credentials.  Any ideas?

> I'm new to NIS and I really have no clue what the problem is. If you have any ideas post them

I've never used the nisserver command, so I reckon it's probably a
script with a load of stuff inside the effect of which I don't know.
See if your cred.org_dir table exists, by trying

niscat cred.org_dir

Credentials cannot be created if the corresponding users don't exist in
either the passwd file or the passwd.org_dir table. Try doing

niscat passwd.org_dir

If nothing is displayed, you're possibly trying to create creds for
principals that are not known to the NIS+ system.

As an acid test, try the following:

nistbladm -a name=blah uid=5000 gid=5000 passwd="" gcos="test" home=""
shell="" shadow="" passwd.org_dir

nisaddcred -p 5000 -P blah.`domainname`'.' local

des

If that doesn't work, it could be you don't have either passwd.org_dir
and/or cred.org_dir tables, don't have permissions, have some Path or
another set up wrong etc etc

I'd stick to using the individual commands (as opposed to shell scripts
such as nispopulate). At least that way you know *exactly* what's going
on.

You could, of course, have a look at the shell script itself in
/usr/lib/nis.

Apart from that, I don't have too many *really* useful ideas

hope it helps, though....

Gerald

NIS + setup

Post by d.. » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Just ran through this. I had a similar problem, but I ran each command
seperately ( from the 2.4 manuals). When I tried running the scripts, it blew
up the nfsd daemon (there were problems with the network.conf files). What you
might want to try is restarting the NIS daemon in security level 0 and
populating the tables. You might also try installing the Solstice Suite to add
creddentials.

I'm sorry I'm not giving specific steps; I'm at home without my manuals.
To reply remove the ~

Quote:>I'm having a problem setting up NIS on a sparc 5 running 2.5.1.  I run