Who can tell me what is '.cshrc'?

Post by Macros » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the using of '.cshrc'? is it important in
Solaris?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Who can tell me what is '.cshrc'?

Post by Igor Sobrado Delgad » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me what is the using of '.cshrc'?

The file $HOME/.cshrc (where $HOME stands for your home directory) is
the configuration file for the C shell. To know more about $HOME/.cshrc
and $HOME/.login you can start reading the man page for csh, the C shell.
Another shells you must know are sh and ksh and, in more recent Solaris
releases, bash and tcsh.

Quote:> is it important in Solaris?

No. It is only important for users that have defined /bin/csh as
they account shell.

Hope this help you.

Igor.

--

Who can tell me what is '.cshrc'?

Post by Arun Gurjal » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

There are tons you can do with .cshrc.
Pickup an O'Rielly book on "csh and tcsh".
You will be astounded by the variety of things you can do with .cshrc.  Also
graduate to .kshrc.  "ksh" - Korn shell is the best of C Shell and Bourne
Shell than you have BASH - Bourne Again Shell.  Man, UNIX is lovely and very
very flexible.  It takes time to absorb it but once you get a feel for it
you will get ecstatic every time you make things happen on that box.  UNIX
is a life long learning experience.  I have been in this field for 20 years
and I am still learning and getting a kick out of it.
Arun.

Quote:> Hi,

> Can anyone tell me what is the using of '.cshrc'? is it important in
> Solaris?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Issuing 'echo <ESC>[r' from .cshrc doesn't work, HELP

Setup:
  386 running Intel SVR4.0.3 and Xfree386 (1.1?: I just finished browsing
   through the config files and can't find a version #), using olwm and
   xterms to connect to SunOS 4.1.3 server over ethernet.

Problem:
  Although I am running my xterms locally on the 386 with 44x80, when I
   rlogin in to the Sun server and try to start up elm or nn, they seem to
   issue a "set scrolling region" command to 24 lines.  If I look at
   'stty -a' before I run one of these commands, rows and cols are 0.  In
   order to get elm or nn to use the full window I must manually set the
   rows to 44 or run a command that is smart enough to figure it out properly
   (I am not sure right now, but I believe 'less' may work).  I cannot
   remember what all I have tried (resize, etc), but the one thing I know
   works is to issue <ESC>[r from the command line to reset scrolling
   region.  After that stty -a shows rows and columns correctly.
  I also dial into the Sun server from a Sun workstation and run term to set
   up a socket over which I can connect multiple local xterms to the remote
   host.  These xterms always seem to propagate the size properly.

My attempted solution:
  Although it seems kludgey, I would be happy if I could simply get the
   <ESC>[r to work from .cshrc or .login.  I can tell from the commandline
   that the command has worked because it moves the cursor to the top of the
   screen without clearing.  From within the .cshrc and .login it does not
   seem to be recognized.  I have also tried 'eval'ing it.  I suspect if I
   recompiled the terminfo resource with the init string set to <ESC>[r that
   that would work.  I know how to setup a per-account termcap, but not
   terminfo.

Any insight or help will be appreciated.

--
                                                          ___________________
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765  /   _____  ______

2. Q, how to see hardware specification and configuration

3. rlogin can't tell who I am in Solaris 2.1

4. no troff?!

5. *AGAIN* CSH - Execute `target' .cshrc with `su'

6. cat filename >/dev/what.device

7. 'csh -f file' reads .cshrc on startup--feature or bug?

8. A couple Gnome quetions

9. su'ing doesn't read /.cshrc

10. login/cshrc problem - 'no job control'

11. 'You're still guilty,' judge in Sun et al antitrust case tells MS

12. Organizing standard .login's and .cshrc's

13. .cshrc and 'exec' as the first command to execute.