"increased VM size+Main-memory" better than "Main-memory+Hard-disk" ??

"increased VM size+Main-memory" better than "Main-memory+Hard-disk" ??

Post by qazm » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:05:44

I am explaining what we do in our application. Please suggest your
opinions.

There are process-A and process-B running in the same Solaris machine.
Process-B gets message from Process-A and it immediately forwards the
message to an application(say, MYAPP) through http. After sending a
message, we wait for an ack from MYAPP. If we do not receive within
certain time, then, we store that message in Main-memory. We keep on
storing such failed messages in memory. After the memory is full, then
process-B will start storing such messages in the disk. After some
indication, process-B will start taking the messages one by one from
the memory(and then from disk) and start forwarding that to MYAPP.

I have control over only Process-B. How do I optimize this approach?
Also, I would like to replace "Main-memory+Hard-disk" with "increased
VM size+Main-memory" so that OS will take responsibility rather than
we writing directly into the disk. What is your opinion about it?

More detailed explanations will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:07:18

> I have control over only Process-B. How do I optimize this approach?
> Also, I would like to replace "Main-memory+Hard-disk" with "increased
> VM size+Main-memory" so that OS will take responsibility rather than
> we writing directly into the disk. What is your opinion about it?

        Use syslog. Check out the LOCAL facility and use your own log file.
        If you don't want to call syslog directly, use stdout and logger.

-am     ? 2003

Post by qazm » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:09:48

> > I have control over only Process-B. How do I optimize this approach?
> > Also, I would like to replace "Main-memory+Hard-disk" with "increased
> > VM size+Main-memory" so that OS will take responsibility rather than
> > we writing directly into the disk. What is your opinion about it?

>    Use syslog. Check out the LOCAL facility and use your own log file.
>    If you don't want to call syslog directly, use stdout and logger.

Thanks...I also would like to hear more about the concept of
"increased VM size+Main-memory" better than "Main-memory+Hard-disk".