Syslog problems

Post by Greg Andre » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I'm using Solaris 2.6 x86 with the latest syslog patches (as of 4 March) and
>it STILL core dumps and randomly dies.  Can't Sun get syslog sorted out.

What's your configuration?  Is this syslogd catching log info from the
local processes, or is it a loghost catching log info from other machines
through the network?  How many other machines, and how busy?

Quote:

>I've tried nsyslog, but it didn't work and I tried all the other syslog
>alternatives that I could find, without success (I only tried ones that read
>the standard /etc/syslog.conf format).

This would suggest a design problem rather than a software bug.
If syslog daemons written by different people all die, maybe it's
not just a problem with buggy software.  Maybe the workload is too
high.

Quote:

>Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions, at all!!??

Certainly.  What are the characteristics of the problem?  Have you
reduced the amount of logging that the syslogd handles, to find the
threshold where it has trouble?  If it's a loghost, then how many
machines does it take to cause the problem?

Quote:

>Also, how much buffering will a host do when the syslog host goes off air
>for a period?

As far as I know, none.  These are UDP packets thrown through the network
at the loghost.  There's no confirmation returned from the loghost, so the
machine sending the info doesn't keep the datagrams buffered.  If the
loghost doesn't receive them, they're gone.

  -Greg

Syslog problems

Post by Mate » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm using Solaris 2.6 x86 with the latest syslog patches (as of 4 March) and
it STILL core dumps and randomly dies.  Can't Sun get syslog sorted out.

I'm thinking that I'll have to throw a Linux or OpenBSD box in place of it,
as I can't risk the loosing logs.

I've tried nsyslog, but it didn't work and I tried all the other syslog
alternatives that I could find, without success (I only tried ones that read
the standard /etc/syslog.conf format).

Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions, at all!!??

Also, how much buffering will a host do when the syslog host goes off air
for a period?

1. syslog problem

One of our E3000's is not running syslogd.  I tried to run it in debug
mode with syslogd -d and got the following error:

syslogd: cannot open /dev/log: No such device or address

crw-r-----  1 root   sys    21,   5 Mar  1 14:15

I looked at one of our hosts that is logging messages fine and
everything looks the same except for the date on the file.

Any help straighening this out is appreciated.

-Tim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Stopping apache, (Red Hat)