60-second SCSI timeout?

Post by John Amp » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I modified the sample SCSI driver (sst.c) for a SCSI PCMCIA card reader.
It is working fine but with one small hitch:  scsi_transport() seems to
honor any pkt_time under 60 seconds, but my commands always get timed
out after 60 seconds when I set higher values of pkt_time.  This is a
problem because formatting larger memory cards can take several minutes.
I had no such difficulty under SunOS 4.*.  Does anyone know where this
limit of 60 is coming from?

A related question: I am new to SCSI drivers, but it does not seem
reasonable to me that the card reader (MCDISK by MPL) should hold the
SCSI bus while the format is in progress -- but this is what is
happening (no disk I/O happens until the format finishes).
scso_transport() says that it is sending asynchronously.  Am I missing
something obvious or is this a limitation of the target device?

Thanks,

John Ampe
BFGoodrich Aerospace

1. 60 second timeout in login, HELP!

        I have installed Linux on a slow machine. (Currently 386dx40 w
2megs of ram, and a 16 meg swap partition.)
        Yah Yah,I know, I know, I have 8mb of RAM on order.......
Anyways, I can not log in, because the login times out after 60 seconds.
(ie, its to dang slow!)
        I don't mind waiting a horable amount of time for programs to
run/load AFTER I get loged in, (at least untill I get my 8mb of ram...)
but I still need to be able to log in in the first place.
        Any ideas on how to make it log me in, without timeing out after
60 seconds? (or do I have to wait untill my 8megs get here? :<)
A tipical session looks something like this:

Welcome to Linux 1.4.59
Darkstar login: ROOT    (* I typed the ROOT... and a CR*)
Login timed out after 60 seconds....

Welcome to Linux 1.4.50
Darkstar login: ROOT  ...e.tc....etc...etc...etc...etc..
(BUT, with a LONG time between lines...heheheheheh, and a LOT of swap
activity...hehheheheheh)
Any suggestions?
        Thanks,
        Jay

2. tools to use for a port

3. Ultra 60 Jumpstart problem with ARP/RARP Timeout

4. variable assignment problem

5. Frontpage and Apache

6. Wierd message: Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC

7. yppasswdd quits after one use

8. GETTY every 60 seconds

9. Telnet takes 60 seconds (minimum) to connect???

10. RedHat 60 install freezes up on "Loading second stage ramdisk"

11. Second Hard Drive Format in Solaris 2.6 Ultra 60