Ultra Sparc / Database Performance Question

Ultra Sparc / Database Performance Question

Post by Myron Freem » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm looking to set up a database server on an UltraSparc.  What I
would like opinions on is which would be the better database server:

Ultra 2 with 2 - 167MHz processors

Ultra 2 with 1 - 200MHz processor

I would appreciate any info anyone can give me.

Myron Freeman                           voice: 617-253-4650
Computer Systems Manager                fax:   617-258-7354

77 Mass Ave.
Mailstop 38-376
Cambridge, MA 02139

Post by John Kotche » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi.

> I'm looking to set up a database server on an UltraSparc.  What I
> would like opinions on is which would be the better database server:

> Ultra 2 with 2 - 167MHz processors

> Ultra 2 with 1 - 200MHz processor

> I would appreciate any info anyone can give me.

> Myron Freeman                           voice: 617-253-4650
> Computer Systems Manager                fax:   617-258-7354

> 77 Mass Ave.
> Mailstop 38-376
> Cambridge, MA 02139

Answer: Ultra 2 with 2x167MHz Processers.  BTW, there's only about
a $3,000 premium on 2 200MHz Processors vs. the 167s.

My experience is with Informix 7.  It just plain doesn't run very
well in our environment on less than 2 processors.

Of course a lot of this depends on:

A) The load on the server.
B) The DB engine being run.
C) How deep your pockets are.

Just out of curiousity with a .sig that screams out:
MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science why in the world
is this being posted to usenet.  Certainly some CS types could give
much better explanations than I can on this subject.

--
       ___________________________________
      / John Kotches is *netically:  /\

   /                                  / /
  /  Technology: no place for wimps! / /
  \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/

Ultra Sparc / Database Performance Question

Post by Myron Freem » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm looking to set up a database server on an UltraSparc.  What I
would like opinions on is which would be the better database server:

Ultra 2 with 2 - 167MHz processors

Ultra 2 with 1 - 200MHz processor

I would appreciate any info anyone can give me.

Myron Freeman                           voice: 617-253-4650
Computer Systems Manager                fax:   617-258-7354

77 Mass Ave.
Mailstop 38-376
Cambridge, MA 02139

Ultra Sparc / Database Performance Question

Post by Bryan O'Sulliva » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

m> I'm looking to set up a database server on an UltraSparc.  What I
m> would like opinions on is which would be the better database server:

m> Ultra 2 with 2 - 167MHz processors

m> Ultra 2 with 1 - 200MHz processor

If your database server software makes use of multiple processors,
you'll get better throughput (but slightly higher latency) from a
dual-processor 167MHz system than from a single-processor 200MHz
system.

        <b

--
Let us pray:
What a Great System.

Ultra Sparc / Database Performance Question

Post by Anthony Talltr » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>our existing webserver.  This information has got me concerned.  Latency
>is important to me.  As the server is running Oracle and almost 90% hits
>are hitting Oracle.  Would the slowdown be noticeable to the web users ?

You might consider having a seperate backend database host with a dedicated
net for communication with the web server.

Post by Atif Ahmad Kh » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>If your database server software makes use of multiple processors,
>you'll get better throughput (but slightly higher latency) from a
>dual-processor 167MHz system than from a single-processor 200MHz
>system.

I have been considering getting a dual Pentium PRO server to replace
our existing webserver.  This information has got me concerned.  Latency
is important to me.  As the server is running Oracle and almost 90% hits
are hitting Oracle.  Would the slowdown be noticeable to the web users ?

Atif Khan

Ultra Sparc / Database Performance Question

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>>If your database server software makes use of multiple processors,
>>you'll get better throughput (but slightly higher latency) from a
>>dual-processor 167MHz system than from a single-processor 200MHz
>>system.
>I have been considering getting a dual Pentium PRO server to replace
>our existing webserver.  This information has got me concerned.  Latency
>is important to me.  As the server is running Oracle and almost 90% hits
>are hitting Oracle.  Would the slowdown be noticeable to the web users ?

He's saying that "if you use a slower processor, your latency will be longer".
He's not saying "if you use two processors, your latency will be longer" as
that is not true.

It was a 2x*167* vs 1x*200* issue, not a "*2*x167" vs "*1*x200" issue.

A single transaction is handled on a single processor, hence a longer latency
if the single processors are slower.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.