iPlanet web server problem

Post by Yan Zh » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:24:45

hey all,

    this might be a little off topic, but here goes:
    running solairs 2.7 with iplanet web server 4.1 sp3.

    iplanet is configured to run with the user www, group developer.

    now, I want everyone in the group developer to be able to stop/start
it,
so I did a setuid on the stop start script, no go, any other user
besides
www excute the script would either exit with code 1 or complaing it
can't
find the library. I checked lib path etc everything seems to be fine.

    what you guys think?

    thanks. email if possible please.

yan

iPlanet web server problem

Post by Lon Stowe » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:07:30

Quote:

>hey all,

>    this might be a little off topic, but here goes:
>    running solairs 2.7 with iplanet web server 4.1 sp3.

>    iplanet is configured to run with the user www, group developer.

   This is the user that the webserver runs as... NOT the user
   that can admin the server.

   Iplanet server have an administration server [or server console
   which can handle multiple iPlanet products] for starting and
   stopping as well as configuring the server itself.

   If you are using standard port numbers, only someone with
   root credentials can start and stop the webserver, as it
   uses ports below 1024.

   [more detail in the admin docs, available at docs.iplanet.com or in
    your server.]

1. iplanet web server 6.6 + iplanet directory server (latest)

i want to password protect certain pages/directories on the webserver
- must i use ldap to do this with iplanet 6 sp6 web server?

i installed the web server, and then ldap... does the order affect
things, some postings suggest installing the directory server first,
and then iplanet web server?

i didn't and am having problems in the web server admin adding users,
etc. can i configure the directory server better for the web server
(do something manually)? is there something to adjust in the console
app for the web server to plugin better?

the errors in the ws admin is:

An error occurred while contacting the LDAP server.
(No such object)

The server could not locate the entry. If adding a new entry, be sure
that the parent of the entry you are trying to add exists. If you
received this error while searching or viewing an entry, it indicates
that the entry which was being searched for does not exist.

2. Unix tool kit for Windows

3. iPlanet webmail (was Upgrading Iplanet Messaging Server from 4.x -> 5.2)

4. new segments in Unix? (SunOS)

5. iPlanet webservers, iPlanet Directory Servers,

6. Networking Linux+DOS

7. iPlanet Web Server

8. getting e-mail from linux server problem

9. Corkscrew and iPlanet Web Proxy server

10. OpenLDAP 1.2 and Iplanet 4.1 Web server

11. Web server from IPLANET

12. iPlanet Web Server Enterprise Edition service pack install

13. Compiling SSJS in IPlanet 4.1 Web Server