Running 2 network managemant platforms on 1 host!!

Running 2 network managemant platforms on 1 host!!

Post by Rens Schipp » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to run two network management platforms
(SunNetManager and Spectrum) on only one host!
The only problem I see is the SNMPD's of each platform are listening on the same
port (ie udp/161, udp/162).
I can solve this by giving the interface two different IP addresses, but how
do Spectrum and SunNetManager know which address belongs two which platform?
If I can solve this, are there any other reasons why my plan will not work?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rens Schipper

Post by John Kenne » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>  I was wondering if it is possible to run two network management platforms
>  (SunNetManager and Spectrum) on only one host! ...

  Spectrum is such a memory/disk/resource pig I can't imagine you being
able to run it and anything else on the same host.  I expect that all
graphical SNMP servers are resource-hogs in this way.  Of course, if you
had a really small network you might not feel this for a while.  We have
over 6000 managed devices on our server and it's almost tolerable with
the 92MB or so of RAM we have on an SGI.  The SGI has blown away every
SNMP manager I've seen running on Sun hardware that used graphics, so
beware.

1. run solaris 8 host standalone or networked

    I have a user that's going to take a Sparc20 to the house, but will
occasionally be bringing it back in to work. I'd like to configure it to run
either standalone (home use) or run on our network. I installed Solaris 8 in
the "non-networked" configuration. Any ideas on how to do this in an
auto-detect type of mode.
    In the meantime - what config files need to be added or updated in
Solaris 8 that will allow me to put it on the net. I've updated the
following:
/etc/hosts
/etc/defaultdomain
/etc/defaultrouter
ifconfig le0 plumb
ifconfig le0 up
/etc/netmasks

Thanks,
ws

2. xterm: can't open pseudo-tty. Aborting

3. printing on unix host from pc running network instruments

4. sgttyb ??

5. Solaris 8 power managemant

6. ELF file manipulation

7. Can not RIPQUERY host that runs gated, but if run routed works?

8. Enterprise Management Systems: Architectures and Standards

9. VMWARE problem with connecting the virtula machine to the HOST using Host-Only network.

10. Virtual hosts, development platform, Intranet and SSI

11. Strange network problems - pings to host are fine, pings from host fail

12. Host-to-host connection in wireless adhoc network?

13. best host platform