Trouble connectiong to a XFree86 4 XDMCP server with Xsun in Solaris 7/SPARC

Trouble connectiong to a XFree86 4 XDMCP server with Xsun in Solaris 7/SPARC

Post by Anders Nordb » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having trouble connecting to a XFree86 4.0.0/4.0.1 (tried both) XDMCP
server with Xsun from Solaris 7 and 8 (tried both) on SPARC architecture.

Trying both /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun -query myhost and -indirect myhost
fails like this:

a) Shows the banner.
b) Mixes in some of the colours from the login picture it is supposed to
get from the XDMCP server.
c) Clears the screen blank (white).
d) Repeats from a).

Solaris 8's Xsun also prints (repeatedly) on my terminal while doing this:

DPMSSupported: Device busy
Can't control power levels

Does anyone have a tip on how to solve this? It works nicely with XFree86
3.X XDMCP server. This keeps me from using my Sun SPARC Classic running
Solaris as an X-terminal with XFree86 4. :( (FYI I do use it for other
things too, that's why I want to run Solaris on it.)

I did compile XFree86 4 on it as well, thinking I could use that instead
of Xsun, but didn't seem to get any X servers available after running make
install. Isn't XFree86 supposed to work on Solaris/SPARC yet? There are
drivers for Sun frame buffers under
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/sun* in the source of XFree86
4.0.1.

Regards,

--
Anders.

Post by Andre Eibe » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I did compile XFree86 4 on it as well, thinking I could use that instead
> of Xsun, but didn't seem to get any X servers available after running make
> install. Isn't XFree86 supposed to work on Solaris/SPARC yet? There are
> drivers for Sun frame buffers under
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/sun* in the source of XFree86
> 4.0.1.

that leads to the question, why someone in their right mind want to use
xfree on solaris sparc...

--
Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
Time to die.

Post by Anders Nordb » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>> I did compile XFree86 4 on it as well, thinking I could use that instead
>> of Xsun, but didn't seem to get any X servers available after running make
>> install. Isn't XFree86 supposed to work on Solaris/SPARC yet? There are
>> drivers for Sun frame buffers under
>> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/sun* in the source of XFree86
>> 4.0.1.
> that leads to the question, why someone in their right mind want to use
> xfree on solaris sparc...

To be able to connect to a XFree86 4 XDMCP server eh? What's wrong with
that? I was just hoping XFree86 on Solaris/SPARC could do what I obviously
cannot to with Xsun. The topic also states the purpose.

Cheers.

--
Anders.

1. Using Solaris 2.3 supplied Xsun for remote XDMCP

I have a SPARCstation running Solaris 2.3 w/ maintenance release.  I
wish, for a variety of reasons, to get Xsun to use a broadcast XDMCP
to get a xdm login prompt for a HP-9000 (since this is what all of
our Xterms run on).  If there any way to do this.

I tried 'Xsun -broadcast' - this brought up the Solaris Postscript
banner thing, and then hung.

I tried 'Xsun -indirect hp1' - this crashed telling me I had no
right to do this.

Someone please tell me what I need to get this going!!!!

Adrian

--
Adrian Hall                             Electronic Press Ltd.
Manager, Computer Systems Group         101 Rogers Street, Suite 201

Tel: (617) 225 9023 extn. 102           MA 02142

2. KDE and other window managers?

3. Xsun's memory usage on a Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4

4. Built OpenLDAP on AIX 4.3.2?

5. timeframe for 112785-36 (solaris 9 (sparc) Xsun patch)?

6. New CAD System for LinuxPPC

7. HP 9.07 xterm --> Solaris 2.6 Xsun server weirdness

8. Linux and MSProxy

9. Will Solaris 9/SPARC binaries run on Solaris 8/SPARC ?

10. Update Solaris 8 Sparc to Solaris 9 Sparc

11. sparc (ultra sparc) solaris 8 vs. intel solaris 8 comparison

12. Sparc 4 /dev/tcx0 and Xsun/X11R5

13. Linux on SPARC (XSUN problem)