how does user space get to know if SCSI disk is hot swapped

how does user space get to know if SCSI disk is hot swapped

Post by lei_m.. » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am writing a user space program which need to know immediately when
SCSI disk is inserted or removed from a disk array. I have a few
questions:

1. does kernel automatically reconfigure the disk devices after it's
inserted or removed?

2. any kernel APIs that user space can use to get hotswap events?

3. where can I get detailed infomation?

Thanks
Ming

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"

Syslog reports
  unix: WARNING: /tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

But

  Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
  swap                 2423720   48480 2375240     3%    /tmp

The host:
  SunOS <hostname> 5.7 Generic_106541-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

I ran vmstat 1 for some time and watched for available swap space to
go to zero. But the lowest it would go is 75kB.

When analyzing this problem, I ran into the following error twice, but
for different commands:
  Can't run command <command>
  fork(2) failed; no more memory

What's going on?

Thanks.

2. This isn't an advocacy group. It's the OK Corral.

3. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"

4. getting jrun to work on solaris with Apache

5. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

6. Linux Counter: 152433 registered Linux users

7. Allocated swap space versus used swap space

8. RH 5.1 module problem

9. hot-plug and hot-swap

10. HELP - am I SWAP-ping, how do I know?

11. I AM GETTING RH6.0 IN THE MAIL NEXT WEEK, WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?

12. How to hot-swap SCSI drives