Sendmail domain name

Post by gerar » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:39:42

Hello!
    What is this error:

   " MachineName sendmail[222]: unable to qualify my own domain name
(MachineName) -- using short name "   ???

    Thanks!

Sendmail domain name

Post by Les Malys » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:14:29

You need an entry in /etc/hosts for your hostname that has at least one dot
in - like host.blob

Quote:> Hello!
>     What is this error:

>    " MachineName sendmail[222]: unable to qualify my own domain name
> (MachineName) -- using short name "   ???

>     Thanks!

Sendmail domain name

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 00:12:13

>     What is this error:

>    " MachineName sendmail[222]: unable to qualify my own domain name
> (MachineName) -- using short name "   ???

Roughly translated, it means that you haven't bothered to research the error
message yourself before you queried the newsgroup.

It's a fairly common message from sendmail on home systems. sendmail can't
find a domain name to associate with your system. Most likely, you aren't
going to be running the system as a mail server, so disable sendmail:

rm /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail
/etc/init.d/sendmail stop

1. sendmail/domain names question

I have three FreeBSD 2.2.2 systems running on a local network at school.
Since this network is not connected to the general internet, I have given them
all general IP addresses (192.1.1.{1-3}).  I modified '/etc/hosts' to include
each of the systems hostnames.  My problem comes from my lack of qualified
domain names.  What is the standard naming convention for machines that are
not connected to the internet?

Sendmail seems unwilling to accept this... It complains about the lack of a
qualified hostname.  Do I really need to make up a domain for use with my
hostnames.  What other advise can you offer regarding this situation?  If I
add a domain, will sendmail be able to communicate between the three machines?

Thanks in advance for your most gracious assistance. :)

--
Travis J. McKay

2. Operating System Poetry

3. Sendmail + Domain Name Question

4. Kernel can't see SCSI card in 3.4

5. how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

6. Wanted: NQS Information

7. NIS domain names and DNS domain names not matching.

8. Slow Network throughput

9. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

10. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

11. sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

12. sendmail 8.9.3 and 8.10.0 unable to qualify domain name

13. Solaris 2.5 sendmail doesn't know the domain name