Solaris license with new Sun

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Is the following assumption correct:

If you buy a new Sun computer, you get a Solaris license that allows
that computer to legally run any version of Solaris up to the current
version at the time that you buy the computer.

Where on Sun's web site can the licensing definitions be found?

]
]If you buy a new Sun computer, you get a Solaris license that allows
]that computer to legally run any version of Solaris up to the current
]version at the time that you buy the computer.
]
]Where on Sun's web site can the licensing definitions be found?

I was certainly told this when I was on an early Sun training course -
Solaris 2.3 I think. The instructor handed out Solaris CDs and told us
we could install it on any Sun hardware, since that hardware included
a license.

I can't find any printed evidence of this either, but only had a quick
look.

--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.   __

      v   WWW: http://pobox.com/~gedau !  necessarily those of M.I.M.     W--W

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

|]Is the following assumption correct:
|]
|]If you buy a new Sun computer, you get a Solaris license that allows
|]that computer to legally run any version of Solaris up to the current
|]version at the time that you buy the computer.
|]
|]Where on Sun's web site can the licensing definitions be found?
|
|I was certainly told this when I was on an early Sun training course -
|Solaris 2.3 I think. The instructor handed out Solaris CDs and told us
|we could install it on any Sun hardware, since that hardware included
|a license.

Any Sun hardware, or any Sun hardware that was bought since Solaris
2.3 (or whatever version you got) was released?

|I can't find any printed evidence of this either, but only had a quick
|look.

Well, that's why I'm asking around here -- I can't find anything in
print or on Sun's web site about the details of Solaris licensing.

Post by J.D. Baldw » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> ]If you buy a new Sun computer, you get a Solaris license that allows
> ]that computer to legally run any version of Solaris up to the current
> ]version at the time that you buy the computer.
> ]
> ]Where on Sun's web site can the licensing definitions be found?

> I was certainly told this when I was on an early Sun training course -
> Solaris 2.3 I think. The instructor handed out Solaris CDs and told us
> we could install it on any Sun hardware, since that hardware included
> a license.

> I can't find any printed evidence of this either, but only had a quick
> look.

I have never seen this in writing either, but I can attest that
numerous Sun sales and sales support people have told me that the only
way we'd have a licensing problem is if we were running "server"
products on boxes where the "server upgrade" fee had never been paid.
Upgrading among versions of Solaris was just fine with them.

Of course, even this doesn't really apply if you're a "hobbyist or
enthusiast" who's not using Solaris for a commercial production
application.  In that case, the Solaris license is just plain free.
--
 From the catapult of J.D. Baldwin  |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I

 _|70|___:::)=}-  for PGP public    |+| retract it, but also to deny under
 \      /         key information.  |+| oath that I ever said it." --T. Lehrer

1. Sun's new Community Source License Agreement for Java

I have re-read Sun's new Community Source License Agreement, and
it looks fine (to me, but I am not a lawyer!) for people who write
only Open Source software.  I think that this applies even to
people, like me, who may give away Open Source software, but still
use it as a basis for their business (e.g., selling consulting time).

In some ways, this is similar to Troll's licensing of the Qt C++
GUI toolkit for Unix and Windows.  You can use Qt for free for
developing free Unix software, but you must pay a steep license
fee for using it for commercial applications (or free applications
for Windows).

Still, I would be very dissapointed if Sun's version of Java could
not be used (forever!) as a free development platform for both free
and commercial software.  Also, I can't imagine that developers
who buy an IDE like JBuilder, Cafe, or Code Warrior (soon to be
available under Linux, I think!) will not get a "free" license
to distribute products created with that IDE and bundled compiler.

Really, Sun needs to clear up this 'new' licensing situation soon.

-- Mark Watson, consultant and author of 11 books on AI, Java, C++.
-- http://www.markwatson.com for Open Source (Java, NLPserver, etc.)

2. zmodem downloads

3. New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

4. win95 destroyed boot manager

5. Need help to run SUN Workshop 5.0 beta (problems to run solaris license manager)

6. Mounting mac floppies

7. Buying 2.-hand Sun machine and Solaris license

8. fetch/store x86 from userland how

9. Solaris 2.6 breaks Sun Pro C compiler license manager

10. compile error under new solaris 2.6 system (new solaris user too)

11. Sun/Solaris or Pentium/Linux for new server ?

12. : advice for someone new to sun solaris.

13. New Sun BluePrint: Solaris Security