CDE, FVWM and strange errors.

Post by CBarcla » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Greetings folks and well met.

I am currently working with Sol. 8 and have FVWM 2.2.2 loaded via the
software companion.  I have toiled many hours to get to this point and
now have no idea where to go from here.

Situation:

Ultra 5 400 IIi
128mb ram
20g hd
Solaris 8

I can run FVWM from the login screen as root with no problem.  But when
I log in as a user, the xserver crashes with the following:

--- DTSOURCEPROFILE is 'true' (see /home/myhome/.dtprofile)
--- execing /etc/dt/config/Xsession.fvwm2 with a /usr/bin/bash login
shell ...
--- starting desktop on /dev/pts/3
/usr/dt/bin/ttsession[7887]: starting
/usr/dt/bin/Xsession[748]: 7876 Hangup
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I think it has something to do with the Xsession.fvwm2 script is written
with ksh and not bash.  But I cannot find where the bash shell is called
from and how to change it.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Strange error from CDE mail program

I have a user that is using CDE 1.0.2 on Solaris 2.5.1. She has started
getting messages when reading mail with the CDE mail program that says
something about not getting exclusive access to object and then gives
her the option to open up her mail either read or read-write. Once she
gets past this point her mail works fine. The message also produces the
following error message in her .dt/errorlog file:

Tue Sep 21 12:34:25 1999
libDtMail: ttdt_file_join error: path '/var/mail/vicki' Tt_status (1028) TT_ERR_
FILE    File object could not be found.

The /var/mail directory is networked mounted from a server. If she runs
pine or mailtool no such error appears.

Anyone suggest what is going on. I would like to be sure that something
isn't broken and she would like to skip the extra messages. She is the
only user I have using CDE and I have almost no experience supporting
it.

Thanks
Eric Williams

2. Can't login after crash, removed passwd 4 root same result

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Kernel 2.0 and ethernet cards on 386

5. Installing fvwm with CDE and Solaris 2.5

6. Matrox Mystique 220 supported?

7. fvwm/cde additions

8. skipping interface ge0

9. Desktop options (KDE, Gnome, FVWM-CDE, etc.)

10. CDE login goes to FVWM-95 windows manager

11. Login with CDE, FVWM, or OPENWIN?

12. Allowing users to choose FVWM in CDE login screen

13. Problems w/ RH 5.0 Triteal CDE and Fvwm-95