Goin' in a bad stuff...

Post by Jean-Luc BEAUDE » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:24:16

Hi All !

I'm on SOALRIS for a few moyh only and not really clear with all ways of
goin' out pbs like mine:

Runnin' SOLARIS 5.7 on SPARC Ultra5 SUN Station.

Disk is a ATA and all my extansoins are SCSI devices (!)

The pb i get is physical and concernes a filesystem i called /export and
mounted as UFS type against /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s6

runnin' fsck says that a lot of sectors are bad and after a while my
system hangs up; all i can do is to try a 'Stop-A'...

I just don't want running  fsck on this FS any more, cause this way of
rebooting is not my cup of tea ( a bit scare in fact )

I wonder if i got a way to restructure this partition with a cmd like
fomat choosing disk and go to
partition ?

Cause i don't really know if after i modify partitioning, i won't go in
a corrupted VTOC of my boot device ... It will be just disastrous !!!

ANY HELP is WELCOME !!!

Thanks for All

Regards JLB :O)

Goin' in a bad stuff...

Post by Larry Lindstro » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:06:00

> Hi All !

> I'm on SOALRIS for a few moyh only and not really clear with all ways
> of goin' out pbs like mine:

> Runnin' SOLARIS 5.7 on SPARC Ultra5 SUN Station.

> Disk is a ATA and all my extansoins are SCSI devices (!)

> The pb i get is physical and concernes a filesystem i called /export
> and mounted as UFS type against /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s6

> runnin' fsck says that a lot of sectors are bad and after a while my
> system hangs up; all i can do is to try a 'Stop-A'...

   Make sure your running "fsck /dev/rdsk/..." and not "fsck
/dev/dsk/..."

   The notes at the bottom of the fsck man page mention this.

   I remember scarry messages from "fsck /dev/dsk/...", but I don't
remember if it actually corrupts the drive.

Quote:> I just don't want running  fsck on this FS any more, cause this way of
> rebooting is not my cup of tea ( a bit scare in fact )

> I wonder if i got a way to restructure this partition with a cmd like
> fomat choosing disk and go to
> partition ?

> Cause i don't really know if after i modify partitioning, i won't go
> in a corrupted VTOC of my boot device ... It will be just disastrous
> !!!

   Yea, you don't want to mess that up.  If the drive is corrupt, the
Answerbook has a good description of the tasks to get it working.  On
the English Answerbook search for "disk", one of the first items will
be " Administering Disks (Tasks)".  That's the page you want.  I
assume the French Answerbook will also have this info.

   Look on the bright side.  Anything on your computer that's important
has been backed up to tape.

Quote:> ANY HELP is WELCOME !!!

> Thanks for All

> Regards JLB :O)

1. Good stuff Bad Stuff

Oh look its that bloke again, posting via OE what a c*nt!

I was thinking what I liked first time I used a system:

1.VMS back in the 80's--Every time you edited in that sh*theap ed at least
it made a back-up and incremented the version number, you could then "purge"
by typing the word purge <filename> and it would delete all but the most
recent

2. Apple Mac 80's again--Clipboard, "F*ing hell" I fort- Thats bloody good,
oh and this mouse menu thing sure saves me from having to learn a load of
CLI crap

2.5 DOS 3 - Oh its almost like a proper OS

2.75 Atari- This is great, I turn it off, put the disk in, turn it on and
after a short while Im playing what ever game this is. Oh yeah and the mouse
keeps getting fluff on the rollers

3. Windows 3.x early 90's The help files would you belive, why? Becuase you
had that bookmark function back then, as you fliped around a manual you
could keep track of intresting pages other than the last one you read. Why
M$ got rid of that in HTMLHelp I will never know

4.*NIX The child like ease of sendmails config files, nah sorry it was
rc.conf but thats not Linux is it, no thats a proper OS

5. Linux-Yeah what did I like about Linux? Was it the info help system-Oh no
hang on that aint nothing to do with Linux. Was it the way when you asked
"How do I configure <insert package name here>" you would get a flood of
pus, with one poor bloke who knew what he was on about buryed in a sea of
pufff?
No I know what I like about Linux, its the friendly people who advocate it!
Oh and NATs is handy got to admit that, oh no hang on did that in *BSD.
Er I know make menuconfig oooh big geeky hardon from that ocean of options

(Bit of an aquatic theme there..)

2. Sendmail Qs -- The security nightmare we love to hate

3. Compiling errors - What's goin' on here?

4. Dial-up Connection runs real slow

5. What's all this "bad M_CTL msg" stuff?

6. : some volume manager commands

7. Bad stuff happening; can't add new users, change passwords, etc

8. xfm 'application defaults file'

10. Linux is a wank, I'm goin back to Windows..

11. kxmlrpcd (nuts, i'm goin nuts)

12. Can't get vibe PPPoE goin RH7.1 2.4.2

13. goin' back to 3.2 from OSR5