Solaris 8 Jumpstart

Post by Andreas Borche » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

I am having trouble to get a hands-off jumpstart configuration working
with Solaris 8. I have setup an install and a boot server, taken my
Solaris 7 jumpstart configurations and added some additional sysidcfg
parameters but I am unable to avoid any questions:

(1) ``boot net - install'' tries (unlike Solaris 7) to
    install a mini-root onto the local disk and requires
    the location of a swap device to be specified.

(2) The mini-root, if booted, recognizes my sysidcfg config
    file (specified by bootparamd) according to the log in
    /var/sadm/system/logs but still questions everything
    and even gives other default values than those found in
    sysidcfg.

(3) After going through the initial questions, a web browser
    is fired up.

How to avoid all this mess?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Borchert, Universitaet Ulm, SAI, Helmholtzstr. 18, 89069 Ulm,  Germany

WWW:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/
PGP:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/pgp.html

Solaris 8 Jumpstart

Post by Allen Eastwoo » Sun, 14 May 2000 04:00:00

No idea about #1, as I specify my file system sizes in my profiles
anyway.

The only real problem I had moving my 2.6/7 jumpstart to 8 was the IPV6
and Kerebos settings, which I put in the sysidcfg file and it works fine
now.  You may wany to check out the Advanced Installation Guide.

No idea on #3 either, never had that problem come up.  However, I can't
recall offhand if I ran setup_install_server from that silly web install
CD, or the CD 1 of the OS.  I think I basically just ignored that web
isntall CD all together.

-A

> I am having trouble to get a hands-off jumpstart configuration working
> with Solaris 8. I have setup an install and a boot server, taken my
> Solaris 7 jumpstart configurations and added some additional sysidcfg
> parameters but I am unable to avoid any questions:

> (1) ``boot net - install'' tries (unlike Solaris 7) to
>     install a mini-root onto the local disk and requires
>     the location of a swap device to be specified.

> (2) The mini-root, if booted, recognizes my sysidcfg config
>     file (specified by bootparamd) according to the log in
>     /var/sadm/system/logs but still questions everything
>     and even gives other default values than those found in
>     sysidcfg.

> (3) After going through the initial questions, a web browser
>     is fired up.

> How to avoid all this mess?

> Andreas.

> --
> Andreas Borchert, Universitaet Ulm, SAI, Helmholtzstr. 18, 89069 Ulm,  Germany

> WWW:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/
> PGP:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/pgp.html

Solaris 8 Jumpstart

Post by Joe Gotobe » Sun, 14 May 2000 04:00:00

Solaris 8 adds the opportunity to select IPV6 and Kerberos so to
get jumpstart to go hands-off  you have to provide values for these
in the sysidcfg. To get the rules file checked you need the sysidcfg
file to define "system_locale", "security_policy", "network_interface",
"netmask", and "protocol_ipv6". This works in my part of the planet;

system_locale=en_US
security_policy=NONE
network_interface=PRIMARY {netmask=255.255.0.0 protocol_ipv6=yes}

Cheers,
Joe

Post by Andreas Borche » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

> I am having trouble to get a hands-off jumpstart configuration working
> with Solaris 8.

Thanks for the responses. The problem was that I started (as used by
former Solaris releases) with the first CD found, now labelled
``Solaris 8 Installation''. This should be skipped and the second,
labelled ``Solaris 8 Software 1/2'' should be started with to setup
an install server.

Both CDs have significantly different boot images.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Borchert, Universitaet Ulm, SAI, Helmholtzstr. 18, 89069 Ulm,  Germany

WWW:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/
PGP:    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/pgp.html

1. Solaris 2.5 jumpstart problem

I've just started experimenting with Solaris 2.5. I've hit a strange
problem with jumpstart. The /etc/vfstab file it generates labels all
ufs file systems as not to be mounted at boot. With Solaris 2.4, this
happened for / and /usr but other file systems had 'yes' in the appropriate
column of /etc/vfstab. With 2.5, all the local file systems have no in
that same column.

Obviously this can be fixed with a little sed in the postinstall script
but perhaps there should be a way of fixing it which is a little cleaner.
In any case, I would expect this to break many people's jumpstart setups
which is rather anti-social.

Does anybody have any advice to offer on this one ?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

2. Maggie Meer and her chum Lee Chisnall of dnuk.com

3. Solaris 9 Jumpstart Issues

4. windows

5. Solaris 10 jumpstart. Rules processed but profile isnt.

6. TELNET and IP directions

7. Solaris 9 Jumpstart Failure

8. APIC/Interrupt levels for SMPs on Solaris 2.6

9. solaris 8 jumpstart

10. Solaris 2.6 jumpstart - sysidcfg

11. Solaris 8 Jumpstart

12. Solaris 9 jumpstart trouble

13. Solaris 7 Jumpstart: Creation of /etc/hosts