RAID 5 Set Internal to an E450?

Post by John Crother » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:42:14

I've an E450 with eigh* empty disk bays which I'd like to fill and
implement a RAID 5 set.

My local Sun re-seller tells me that I can't install a RAID controller
inside
the E450 for the internal drives and that the only solution available for
the
E450 is to buy something like the A1000 external disk array.

Is this correct? If it is the case, can someone recommend an Enterprise
server
that *is* capable of implementing a RAID 5 set on internal drives?

I have a spec for an RS/6000 model H70 with internal RAID controller and
RAID
5 set which I'm looking to compare/contrast with a Sun solution.

In case you're wondering, my experience with external disk arrays has been a
painful one up to this point.

thanks

John Crothers
Fidelity Investments

Post by Brian Hanso » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:06:43

> I've an E450 with eigh* empty disk bays which I'd like to fill and
> implement a RAID 5 set.

> My local Sun re-seller tells me that I can't install a RAID controller
> inside
> the E450 for the internal drives and that the only solution available for
> the
> E450 is to buy something like the A1000 external disk array.

While it's true that you couldn't talk to these internal drives

with an add-on hardware raid controller; you can easily make a raid

5 array using Solstice DIsk Suite (& its free, which is why your

reseller didn't tell you about it).

RAID 5 Set Internal to an E450?

Post by Colin A. Whit » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:14:30

John

Did the reseller suggest you try implement RAID via software ??
Solaris DiskSuite (free with 7 & 8) does a nice, *low cost* job...

I don't think there is a h/w raid solution for 'onboard' disks for any
Enterprise server - but I may be wrong.

C.W.

Quote:> I've an E450 with eigh* empty disk bays which I'd like to fill and

Post by Jim Glockli » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:28:48

>I've an E450 with eigh* empty disk bays which I'd like to fill and
>implement a RAID 5 set.

>My local Sun re-seller tells me that I can't install a RAID controller
>inside
>the E450 for the internal drives and that the only solution available for
>the
>E450 is to buy something like the A1000 external disk array.

Find yourself another re-seller.  We just installed a SUN SRC/P Raid
controller and an 8 disk backplane, into one of our E450's this past
weekend.  It's working just fine, but for $40K it better be.

-Jim G.

RAID 5 Set Internal to an E450?

Post by Thommy M. Malmstr? » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:21:48

Brian, unfortunately I have to correct you (and the re-seller). SRC/P is a HW
RAID controller for the E450.

/Thommy M.

Post by Griff Mille » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:58:01

> > I've an E450 with eigh* empty disk bays which I'd like to fill and
> > implement a RAID 5 set.

> > My local Sun re-seller tells me that I can't install a RAID controller
> > inside
> > the E450 for the internal drives and that the only solution available for
> > the
> > E450 is to buy something like the A1000 external disk array.

> While it's true that you couldn't talk to these internal drives

> with an add-on hardware raid controller; you can easily make a raid

> 5 array using Solstice DIsk Suite (& its free, which is why your

> reseller didn't tell you about it).

I read somewhere (I think it was a UnixReview article) that the
E450 has internal hardware RAID.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
Griff Miller II
Manager of Information Technology      "Beware of those who seek to win an

Post by Jim Glockli » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:45:59

>Jim Glockling writes:

>> Find yourself another re-seller.

>  Or order direct from sun: store.sun.com

>>  We just installed a SUN SRC/P Raid
>> controller and an 8 disk backplane, into one of our E450's this past
>> weekend.  It's working just fine, but for $40K it better be.

>  The controller, 8 slot backplane, and cables is part number
>X6602A, and is $2,695 list. From the main url, follow "hardware
>options" -> "storage" -> "raid controller", etc...

Our order included 10 36GB hot swap drives at about $3K per,  but that still
falls short of 40K.  Hmmm,  maybe I need to find another re-seller...

-Jim G.

Post by Brian Hanso » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 04:37:43

> > > I've an E450 with eigh* empty disk bays which I'd like to fill and
> > > implement a RAID 5 set.

> > > My local Sun re-seller tells me that I can't install a RAID controller
> > > inside
> > > the E450 for the internal drives and that the only solution available for
> > > the
> > > E450 is to buy something like the A1000 external disk array.

> > While it's true that you couldn't talk to these internal drives

> > with an add-on hardware raid controller; you can easily make a raid

> > 5 array using Solstice DIsk Suite (& its free, which is why your

> > reseller didn't tell you about it).

> I read somewhere (I think it was a UnixReview article) that the
> E450 has internal hardware RAID.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> --
> Griff Miller II
> Manager of Information Technology      "Beware of those who seek to win an
> Positron Corporation                    argument at the expense of the

Sorry that article is wrong; the built in controllers are simply scsi...not h/w
raid.

Post by Griff Mille » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 06:50:19

> > I read somewhere (I think it was a UnixReview article) that the
> > E450 has internal hardware RAID.

> > http://www.unixreview.com/administration/articles/0101an.shtml

> Sorry that article is wrong; the built in controllers are simply scsi...not h/w
> raid.

I suspected as much, but it wouldn't have been the first time I was
wrong about something.

Maybe someone should tell them. Or maybe Sun should retrofit free hardware
RAID to all E450's extant so that the article (and readers' memories
of it) will be compliant with reality.  :)

Speaking with a purely unbiased point of view, of course ("uh, no, those
two big boxes in the machine room aren't E450's, they're, uh, refrigerators! Yeah...")

--

Post by Carsten Schulz-Ke » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:25:59

> Find yourself another re-seller.  We just installed a SUN SRC/P Raid
> controller and an 8 disk backplane, into one of our E450's this past
> weekend.  It's working just fine, but for $40K it better be.

Too bad that deja.com's power-search is gone. You might want to search
google for the term SRC/P instead, before you rely on that controller...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=b2e46098f0...

Disclaimer: I don't know whether the bugs have been fixed with newer
versions of the hardware. Our local Sun distributor promised us to
send an update, once a working version of that Raid controller would
be available. I did not hear anything so far...

HTH,
Carsten

--
| Carsten Schulz-Key   | Wilhelm-Schickard-Institut |   Technische Informatik |
| Universit?t Tbingen |                            | Sand 13, 72076 Tbingen |

Post by micha.. » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:11:38

> > Find yourself another re-seller.  We just installed a SUN SRC/P Raid
> > controller and an 8 disk backplane, into one of our E450's this past
> > weekend.  It's working just fine, but for $40K it better be.

> Too bad that deja.com's power-search is gone. You might want to search
> google for the term SRC/P instead, before you rely on that controller...

> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=b2e46098f0...

> Disclaimer: I don't know whether the bugs have been fixed with newer
> versions of the hardware. Our local Sun distributor promised us to
> send an update, once a working version of that Raid controller would
> be available. I did not hear anything so far...

SUN stopped shipping this controller sometimes ago because of quality
problems. Now it is available again and you should rely on it.
For me ... I have to of them since end of 1998 and up to now no
problems :-)

Markus

--
Markus Michalek                Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitaet
Hochschulrechenzentrum         Bibliotheksdatenverarbeiung