Xerox GlobalView on Solaris 2.4 and 2.5 --- Experience?

Xerox GlobalView on Solaris 2.4 and 2.5 --- Experience?

Post by Ian G Batt » Wed, 06 Mar 1996 04:00:00

For reasons I don't wish to go into, but for which I am now receiving
professional help and heavy sedation, I have to install Xerox GlobalView
for a small group of our users in a very tight timescale.  I have no
clear idea of the performance implications.

My production network consists of an Auspex serving a collection of Suns
running mainly 2.4 and 2.5.  The ideal targets for the people that want
to use GlobalView are one of the main timeshare machines --- a 20/514
and and Ultra1/170, both with 512MBytes and shortly to be FDDI'd to the
Auspex.  They both run 2.5. The display devices are NCD and Tek X
terminals.

At a push I could locate some elderly --- IPX, Classic, ELC with plenty
of memory --- desktop machines for these people, but I'd rather not.  I
have smaller timeshare machines (mostly 10/512 and 10/514) running 2.4,
but they are committed for software build.

So, how much impact relative to a copy of Netscape or a Framemaker (the
two * applications) will GlobalView have?  Is it OK over X?  Does
it need Display Postscript?  Swap?  Disk?  Does it run on 2.5?

One of the alleged reasons for using it is that it can handle Kanji
documents.  Does this work _without_ Japanese Solaris?

Any and all comments welcome!

ian