Running a DHCP server (in.dhcpd) while BOOTP server (bootps) is in inetd.conf?

Running a DHCP server (in.dhcpd) while BOOTP server (bootps) is in inetd.conf?

Post by R. Bernste » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a Solaris 2.6 box that I'd like be a BOOTP server (run out of
inetd.conf) and also be a DHCP server.

It appears that /usr/lib/inet/in.dhcp and bootps try listen on the
same UDP port 67. Therefore starting in.dhcp (or /etc/init.d/dcp
start) while inetd is running it fails. (It also fails without
supplying an error message).

How can I run both of these together?

I've tried /usr/sbin/dhcpconfig and using the non-default BOOTP
compatibility but that didn't work.

Thanks.

rocky

Running a DHCP server (in.dhcpd) while BOOTP server (bootps) is in inetd.conf?

Post by Ed Rav » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a Solaris 2.6 box that I'd like be a BOOTP server (run out of
>inetd.conf) and also be a DHCP server.

>It appears that /usr/lib/inet/in.dhcp and bootps try listen on the
>same UDP port 67. Therefore starting in.dhcp (or /etc/init.d/dcp
>start) while inetd is running it fails. (It also fails without
>supplying an error message).

>How can I run both of these together?

You can't.  Both processes want to bind to port 67, and only one process
at a time is allowed to do that.  Since DHCP is an extension of BOOTP, any
decent (i.e., non-Microsoft) DHCP server will handle both kinds of requests.

Quote:>I've tried /usr/sbin/dhcpconfig and using the non-default BOOTP
>compatibility but that didn't work.

Keep trying, that's the only way to do it.  What exactly went worng?

If you decide the Solaris DHCP server is out to get you, then you might
want to try the ISC dhcpd, available at www.isc.org.  It is easy to
configure once you get the hang of it, it uses one ASCII file that
contains both the DHCP and BOOTP information.

--
Ed Ravin        |If I were not a little mad and generally silly