Great PPP painless config site

Post by Jason N » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi !!
I've searched through the net and I've visited many sites about PPP
configuration using Sun's own PPP and any other PPP packages, and seems
the best and easiest tutorial site is this :

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~kempston/solaris/connectanyisp.html

It'll describe every step you need to carry out in order to configure
your PPP connection !!

Hope this helps !! :)

Jason

Great PPP painless config site

Post by BrentB » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi !!
>I've searched through the net and I've visited many sites about PPP
>configuration using Sun's own PPP and any other PPP packages, and seems
>the best and easiest tutorial site is this :

>http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~kempston/solaris/connectanyisp.html

>It'll describe every step you need to carry out in order to configure
>your PPP connection !!

>Hope this helps !! :)

>Jason

Hmmm....interesting.  This page comes up 404 (at least on America Online).
Maybe you could verify the URL?

Thanks!
Brent Boswell
Systems Administrator
WES, Inc.

Great PPP painless config site

Post by Celeste Stokel » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The URL is correct. If you get a 404 for it, AOL is not letting you get it.

..Celeste Stokely, Information Technology Project Mgmt Consultant
  Stokely Consulting, 211 Thompson Square, Mountain View CA 94043

  http://www.stokely.com - Home of Unix Serial Port & Sysadm Resources

> Hmmm....interesting.  This page comes up 404 (at least on America Online).
> Maybe you could verify the URL?

> >I've searched through the net and I've visited many sites about PPP
> >configuration using Sun's own PPP and any other PPP packages, and seems
> >the best and easiest tutorial site is this :

> >http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~kempston/solaris/connectanyisp.html

> >It'll describe every step you need to carry out in order to configure
> >your PPP connection !!

1. ppp download works great, ppp upload slowwwww

hi there,
    I have 2 boxes that are running ppp with slackware 3.1, kernel
2.0.29, pppd 2.2.0f, etc.
The first box (lets call him A) sits on a lan at work to route my
traffic from home onto the net.
The second box (B) is my router at home that routes a 4 bit subnet from
home to work..  I have
been having trouble getting similar transfer rates when pulling from A
to B, when compared to
pushing from B to A.

Pulling from A to B works great - anywhere from 2 to 3k/sec on
compressed files... no complaints
Pushing from B to A takes forever.  It appears that B doesnt get an ack
from A for the first packet
for a long time (many 10s of seconds).

To narrow the problem, I had a friend connect to B using his linux box
that also acts as his home router.
He gets pretty similar results when he pushes and pulls.  That rules out
box A from being at fault.

Next, I took the modem (SupraFax Modem 28.8 external) from box B and
hooked it up to a
Windoze95 box with that DialUpNetworking PPP stuff.  I  pushed and
pulled to an NT box... similar transfer rate
results for the push/pull.

This leaves the hardware or kernel config on box B.

I have setserial configuring /dev/cua0 to spd_vhi and 16550, etc... and
have the MRU set to 1500.  I am not setting
an of the asyncmap stuff in the options for pppd.  my options file likes
like this:
            lcp-echo-interval 15 lcp-echo-failure 3 defaultroute

has anyone seen asymmetry in transfer rates before?  could this be
related to the kernel ( 2.0.29?)  I cant expect that
pppd is causing trouble because its been working great forever, and boxA
and the friends router are using
this (2.2.0f) as well.

any ideas would be very much appreciated.

thanks,
--> Howard

2. Alps Touchpad

3. Great WWW site for monitor info

4. SO_BINDTODEVICE problems, kernel version 2.0.34

5. Great new Linux site

6. Needhelp on replace hard disk?

7. Great undiscovered site

8. NSCA 1.3 Redirection

9. Great Sites

10. Great site

11. GREAT HACKING SITE !!!!! CHECK IT OUT NOW !!!

12. Great Site !

13. Great Computer Hardware and Software Site