Network Monitorying Tool in a line command

Network Monitorying Tool in a line command

Post by contrace.. » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:32:19

Id like to know if is there any network monitorying tool in a line
command.
In my job we are using Allot and trafip, but Im looking for a command
line tool
to monitorize networks, getting only numbers, not graphics.

Thanks !

Post by Rainer Beushause » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:32:48

> Id like to know if is there any network monitorying tool in a line
> command.
> In my job we are using Allot and trafip, but Im looking for a command
> line tool
> to monitorize networks, getting only numbers, not graphics.

> Thanks !

bmon comes to mind. http://people.suug.ch/~tgr/bmon/
You may find it on blastwave

Rainer

Network Monitorying Tool in a line command

Post by pavel » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:45:38

Hi, hope this helps
very good stuff, i use it alot

The following is the sample output of the netstat -i utility:
# netstat -i
Name Mtu Net/Dest Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Queue
lo0 8232 loopback localhost 17367 0 17367 0 0 0
hme0 1500 SUN SUN 150518 84 161769 42 1532 0
qfe0 1500 router-qfe0 router-qfe0 6821 0 4658 0 115 0
qfe1 1500 router-qfe1 router-qfe1 4241 0 1156 0 0 0
qfe2 1500 router-qfe2 router-qfe2 0 0 952 0 0 0
qfe3 1500 router-qfe3 router-qfe3 902 0 1989 0 0 0
In the preceding output, note the following fields:
l Name - The type of the Ethernet interface
l Mtu - The maximum size of the packets that are transmitted on the
network
l Net/Dest - The subnet address
l Address - The name of the system
l Ipkts - The number of packets received
l Ierrs - The number of received packets that have errors
l Opkts - The number of packets sent
l Oerrs - The number of sent packets that have errors
l Collis - The number of output packets that result in collision
l Queue - The number of packets that are queued
In the output of the netstat -i command, the Queue field should have a
zero value, and the value in the Collis field should not be greater
than
five percent of the number of outgoing packets. In addition, if the
value in
the Ierrs field is greater than 25 percent of the value in the Ipkts
field,
the system is dropping packets, which causes a high number of input
errors.
Note - The information generated by the netstat utility is critical
for
tuning your network because the netstat utility reports data on network
usage and network traffic. However, it is difficult to interpret the
output
of the netstat utility for a system with many network interfaces
because
of the complexity of the output.

> Id like to know if is there any network monitorying tool in a line
> command.
> In my job we are using Allot and trafip, but Im looking for a command
> line tool
> to monitorize networks, getting only numbers, not graphics.

> Thanks !

1. bt848 command line capture tool

I have a Hauppauge WincastTV/dbx tuner card.  The fxtv
application is really great and works well but I was
wondering if there is a command line tool that could
be called from a script to capture a single jpeg image.

fxtv will capture pics but is not suitable for use
in a script.

I have used qcamcontrol for the Connectix Quickcam and
was wondering if there was something like this for
bt848 based cards.

John

2. Disk sporadically corrupted

3. command line tool for publishing web site

4. 8.9 cents/minute 800 Service! 14.9 cpm Cards (No Bong Charge!)

5. command line news posting tools

6. Search information about bdftopcf

7. Log-Wrapper for command line tools

8. smbmount not working right?

9. command line audio tools

10. How to launch command line tool from c source code?

11. What is the command line tool to enable/disable daemons in Caldera?

12. Command line tools for process monitoring

13. command line SNMP tools?