Is freeware free?

Post by S S Wa » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

My company is concerned about the use of freeware
in production machines. Does anyone know whether
the following software is free, i.e. we need not pay a
dollar to use them ?

- wu-ftpd
- expect
- top/proctool
- sudo
- lsof
- gzip
- traceroute

Thanks.

Is freeware free?

Post by Dominic Mitche » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> My company is concerned about the use of freeware
> in production machines. Does anyone know whether
> the following software is free, i.e. we need not pay a
> dollar to use them ?

> - wu-ftpd
> - expect
> - top/proctool
> - sudo
> - lsof
> - gzip
> - traceroute

They all arrived in source form on my BSD cdrom, so I'd guess so.
From what source I have on my system at the moment:

traceroute      - BSD license
expect          - public domain, from NIST.  Love your govt.  :-)
top             - BSDish license, certainly free to use.
proctool        - no idea
sudo            - GPL
lsof            - BSD license
gzip            - GPL
wu-ftpd         - dunno, probably GPL.

A BSD style license means you are free to use it as you wish, and don't
have to publish your modifications to the original source base.  A GPL
is still free, except you are required to publish source code at all
times, including modifications you have made.

Yes, I know that this is a gross simplification, please don't flame me.
I've had enough of licensing flame wars.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator
``Damn the philosophy, just provide the functionality and let anyone

Is freeware free?

Post by Steve Bellen » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>My company is concerned about the use of freeware
>in production machines. Does anyone know whether
>the following software is free, i.e. we need not pay a
>dollar to use them ?

>- wu-ftpd
>- expect
>- top/proctool
>- sudo
>- lsof
>- gzip
>- traceroute

Not many lawyers read this news group. But all the software above
can be downloaded with src and each package likely has a file
which indicates the license given to use the software. Print them
out and give them to management.
--

Is freeware free?

Post by Vic Abe » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>My company is concerned about the use of freeware
>in production machines. Does anyone know whether
>the following software is free, i.e. we need not pay a
>dollar to use them ?
>- wu-ftpd
>- expect
>- top/proctool
>- sudo
>- lsof
>- gzip
>- traceroute

Lsof is free, and its distribution terms are clearly stated in each
source file and in its documentation.  Perhaps you should look for
similar information in the documentation that accompanies the other
packages you've listed.

1. RedHat GNU freeware or limit freeware...

You certainly don't need to buy licences!

The point of the GPL is, roughly, that you can't take free software and
make it proprietary [1] - so if your proprietary use of GPLed software
includes linking it with software which you don't place under a
compatible license, then sorry, no go. This is needed to make sure free
software doesn't get subverted into being non-free.

However, there are no restrictions on the environments in which you can
*use* GPLed software. If you want to use it in your business, that's
fine.

[1] Note that "commercial" is not the same as "proprietary". The
    confusion is common, but "commercial" means that your software is
    not free as in free beer, whereas "proprietary" means that your
    software is not free as in free speech. See http://www.gnu.org/ for
    more information.

--

"Is this legal?"
"That question is OFF-TOPIC here." - alt.binaries.cracks FAQ

2. Problem using mksysb in AIX

3. FPC Setup "Free Pascal Compiler, I am at wit's end"

4. Using an IDE CDRW Drive Under a 2.4.19 Kernel

5. oracle 8.1.5 and free bsd, or what am I doing wrong??

6. Change default usergroup id

7. Why am I using lots of swap with plenty of RAM free?

8. HOOOOORAY X works at last and its WELL WORTH IT!!

9. Solaris 2.4 panic: free: freeing free block

10. FREE E-MAIL, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

11. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT.

12. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT