Cluster 2.2 Hardware Restrictions

Post by slowthin.. » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I wanted to know if there are specific hardware requirements for
setting up sun clusters (2.2). I was told by somebody that clustering
works only with E3500 systems or above. I have a couple of E250s, two
E220s, 1 E420 and some ultra-5s. I can understand identical/similar
machines required within a cluster -- but why only E3500 or above?
Cannot I cluster two E250s in a single cluster?

I was looking thru the Clustering 2.2 doc -- but I did not see any
specific hardwire restrictions.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Toomas Soom » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

: I wanted to know if there are specific hardware requirements for
: setting up sun clusters (2.2). I was told by somebody that clustering
: works only with E3500 systems or above. I have a couple of E250s, two
: E220s, 1 E420 and some ultra-5s. I can understand identical/similar
: machines required within a cluster -- but why only E3500 or above?
: Cannot I cluster two E250s in a single cluster?

: I was looking thru the Clustering 2.2 doc -- but I did not see any
: specific hardwire restrictions.

perhaps it is good idea to go to www.sun.com and find yourself information
about clusters? somehow I remember an example configuration with starfire
domain as one node and 250 as another.... I mean, if you need to be sure,
check out docs... or ask from sun rep..

toomas
--
Not only is UNIX dead, it's starting to smell really bad.
        -- Rob Pike

Post by Fredrich P. Mane » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

: I wanted to know if there are specific hardware requirements for
: setting up sun clusters (2.2). I was told by somebody that clustering
: works only with E3500 systems or above. I have a couple of E250s, two
: E220s, 1 E420 and some ultra-5s. I can understand identical/similar
: machines required within a cluster -- but why only E3500 or above?
: Cannot I cluster two E250s in a single cluster?

: I was looking thru the Clustering 2.2 doc -- but I did not see any
: specific hardwire restrictions.

The only restriction that I know of is that the processor type needs to be
the same between the nodes, but that's only because whatever application
you are wanting to run need to work on both nodes. I know I have built
several clusters on E450s and even a few on E250s (and in class we built
on with Ultra5s and other workstations).

fpsm
--
| Fredrich P. Maney                                                   |

|          Fight Spam! Join CAUCE! == http://www.cauce.org/           |
|                Outlaw Junk Email! Support HR1748.                   |
|          "Sometimes, fear has a good and useful purpose."           |

Post by Wolfgang Stie » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> : I wanted to know if there are specific hardware requirements for
> : setting up sun clusters (2.2). I was told by somebody that clustering
> : works only with E3500 systems or above. I have a couple of E250s, two
> : E220s, 1 E420 and some ultra-5s. I can understand identical/similar
> : machines required within a cluster -- but why only E3500 or above?
> : Cannot I cluster two E250s in a single cluster?

> : I was looking thru the Clustering 2.2 doc -- but I did not see any
> : specific hardwire restrictions.

The Sun supported configurations start at E220R/E250 IIRC. Not sure
about the Netra t1, though.

Quote:> perhaps it is good idea to go to www.sun.com and find yourself information
> about clusters? somehow I remember an example configuration with starfire
> domain as one node and 250 as another.... I mean, if you need to be sure,
> check out docs... or ask from sun rep..

As far as I know, there is no way with SunCluster 2.2 to build a
asymmetric cluster (meaning different server types).

In a cluster you usually have to have identical hardware pathes for
_all_ devices (not only disks, but also public net and private
net). For example, disk c2t3d0 has to be seen as the same _physical_
disk from both cluster nodes (assuming a two-node cluster).

If you are clustering a starfire (which is typically a SBus machine)
together with a E250 (which is a PCI based server) the hardware pathes
are not the same at all!

The configuration StarFire+E250 you have seen might be a usual
StarFire (E10000) plus the required "System Service Processor"
(SSP), which is for example needed by each StarFire domain to load the
NVRAM off. Might be, that in the E10k there were to identical domains
configured as a two node cluster (this configuration is quite usual by
the way). Depending on the number of domains you are running in your
StarFire it might be a good idea to use a E250 as SSP instead of a
U5. IIRC a E250 is allowed also to be the SSP for _two_ E10k (in
opposite to the U5). But now we're running a little bit off topic :)

wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Stief                        Freiheit hoasst, koa Angst hom,

Post by Carey Page-Sinclai » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:37:11

> I wanted to know if there are specific hardware requirements for
> setting up sun clusters (2.2). I was told by somebody that clustering
> works only with E3500 systems or above. I have a couple of E250s, two
> E220s, 1 E420 and some ultra-5s. I can understand identical/similar
> machines required within a cluster -- but why only E3500 or above?
> Cannot I cluster two E250s in a single cluster?

> I was looking thru the Clustering 2.2 doc -- but I did not see any
> specific hardwire restrictions.

Cluster 2.2 is fairly flexible in what hardware can be used - however
for it to be supported (and hence 'guaranteed') by Sun you need to stick
with certain configurations. This is a good idea - considering the
purpose of clustering (in Sun's terms) is to provide a very available
(hence stable) environment.

As mentioned in a previous reply, you will have problems trying to build
an asymmetric cluster. The most obvious system difference is the bus
type. As quoted from the Cluster 2.2 course notes - "You cannot mix
systems that use PCI bus technology, such as the E450, with SBus
technology systems, such as the E3000. Many of the interface cards, such
as the storage array interfaces, are not compatible when connected to
the same storage unit."

Hence, a cluster can be built from a E250 & E450, or a Ultra5 & Ultra10,
or a E3500 & E6500, and perhaps even a Ultra10 & E450 (???). However you
cannot / should not build a cluster including an E450 and a E6500 (for
example).

Sun are quite picky about what type of Cluster configurations they will
support. Bottom-line, therefore is that you should talk to your Sun
representive. As a side-note, you really need to be 'serious' about
implementing the Cluster product properly, including the amount of money
you throw at it - otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Just my two cents worth...
-=-
 Carey

Post by Ranko Popovi » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:13:03

>I wanted to know if there are specific hardware requirements for
>setting up sun clusters (2.2). I was told by somebody that clustering
>works only with E3500 systems or above. I have a couple of E250s, two
>E220s, 1 E420 and some ultra-5s. I can understand identical/similar
>machines required within a cluster -- but why only E3500 or above?
>Cannot I cluster two E250s in a single cluster?

Supported platforms are U2, E2x0, E4x0, Exxxx and E10000. Limitation on
E4x0 and lesser is that all cluster nodes has to be identical platform
(eg 250 & 250 or 450 & 450). With E3000 and better any combination is
allowed, like E3000 and E6500.

--
Ranko Popovic
Principal Engineer

#exclude <windows.h>
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of News
Connect. */

1. Sun Cluster 2.2

There are anyone that are using Sun Cluster 2.2 and Oracle 8.1.7. and OPS.
Some comments? It was a hard migration / instalation? It is stable? How can
the nodes be accessed with only one IP address. It is possible? or other
piece of software or hardware is needed.

Thanks

2. Compiling Taylor UUCP 1.05

3. How good are Sun Cluster 2.2?

4. Can Linux co-exist with WinNT server/client

5. sun cluster 2.2 and EMC symmetrix

6. Sequence number of shell in rc3.d (Solaris5.7)

7. summary on how to build a oracle parallel server sun OPS cluster sc 2.2

8. File name substitution at command line

9. Sun Cluster 2.2 Setup

10. Sun Cluster ---- 2.2 vs 3.0

11. Sun Cluster 2.2

12. multiple versions of Oracle on SUN Cluster 2.2

13. whether sun cluster 2.2 support e250 and a1000 storage array